Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: vodaphone

Re: BB OS 7 on Torch?

Torch 9800 / os7 Undoubtedly there will be hardware  related issues , so not the full os7 will not run on older torch, howver there will also be improvements that  are not hardware related, and those unless ALL put into an upgrade to OS6 will noit end up on my torch.

RIM have offered me some naff games as compensation for the recent outages, they need to grow up and get real.

isca

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

isca wrote:

RIM have offered me some naff games as compensation for the recent outages, they need to grow up and get real.

They've offered more than games so far.

Of course not all of the gift apps are available in all countries, you could have missed one.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

I have a BB 9800 and Iphone 4, just updated my Iphone 4 to 5... I love Iphone..... BB...hmmmm....You guys know it better

New Contributor
My Device: BB Torch 9800
My Carrier: OPTIMUS

It's really sad to see that RIM simply, do not care about their clients who bought the top products. Wen we buy some product on this standard we expect to be threated with more respect.

I have an torch 9800 with about one year now. I payed almost 800 euros for it in an Official Shop and unblocked for operators. I expect to have the new funcionalitys on my device like hotspot, but as we see here we will not have OS 7 on it.

I Allready decided. I will abandone RIM, and all my company as well.

And I hope someone on BB to read this, maybe they learn how to treat clients.

Best regards from PORTUGAL.

cabecadas wrote:

I have an torch 9800 with about one year now. I payed almost 800 euros for it in an Official Shop and unblocked for operators. I expect to have the new funcionalitys on my device like hotspot, but as we see here we will not have OS 7 on it.

Oh come on. The issue is not about respect, it's a lack of hardware compatibility.
EVEN if you could upgrade to OS7 on the 9800, it still wouldn't have the hotspot function, the hardware is just NOT in the device for that.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

cabecadas wrote:

I have an torch 9800 with about one year now. I payed almost 800 euros for it in an Official Shop and unblocked for operators. I expect to have the new funcionalitys on my device like hotspot

Hello cabecadas,

I can feel your frustration.

But why do you expect more than what you get when you buy a device? This is an expectation that is wrong at the start. You buy a 800EUR device, and complain that a year after a newer faster better device is released and you cannot get it at a cheap price.

When I buy a car without power steering and without aircon, I do not expect those features to magically appear a year after (except if that is what the seller told me).

Now, to focus on your specific issue, I think you can complain to your carrier.

If you look at what is going on in France, the "Free.fr" operator has just released a new mobile phone contract:

16EUR/month for unlimited internet & phone calls & sms, without a device.

With that price, it is better to use that contract, and change your device each year at full price. So for 24 months for example it will cost you (for example if you buy two 800EUR phones :

16x24 + 800 + 800 = 1984EUR

with your optimus contract, how come it is so expensive ?

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.optimus.pt/Particulares/Servicos/Inte...

the same contract costs 107EUR so with the same two phones it will cost you for 2 mobile phones :

107x24 + 800 + 800 = 4168EUR.

Now I do understand your frustration. But you should talk to Optimus and ask why their price is 7 times more expensive than in France.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
My Device: Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: Vodacom

JSanders wrote:
Oh come on. The issue is not about respect, it's a lack of hardware compatibility.
EVEN if you could upgrade to OS7 on the 9800, it still wouldn't have the hotspot function, the hardware is just NOT in the device for that.

A blatant lack of respect is EXACTLY right.  Add to that RIMs lack of vision and forward thinking.  Top device limited to 1 OS release.  Lets not blame hardware - OS7 is still well below par when compared to Android, iOS and Windows Mobile.  Sloppy coding and lack of vision is all it is.

My iPhone 3GS ran iOS3, iOS4 and iOS5 (albeit slow).  Sure - without doing some cooking, Droids aren't in the same league.  WM remains to be seen.  Point is, none of the competitor products are outdated in their 1st year.  MS and Droid have the further challenge that a variety of vendors develop the hadware.  Still - they manage to do a better job than RIM.

Yes the hardware doesn't matter. Smiley Wink
Buahahahahaha.

It certainly matters.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

There certainly seems to be a lot of bitter people in here because they cant get upgraded to the latest OS.
The question is, what does OS7 give you that OS6 doesn't ? and is it worth all the bitching ?

I have the Torch with OS6 and it does everything i want it to, why will I be happier with OS7 ?
New Contributor
My Device: BB Torch 9800
My Carrier: OPTIMUS

Hi JS,
Wen we buy top electronic devices we expect the same to be upgradable in Operating systems at least for during the garantie period or a couple of years.
Nobody want to buy state of the art MAC for example that can not use the next OP after one year.
The new OP as lots of features we naturaly expect to see implemented.
I undestand about the lack of hardware compatibility. I dont understand the lack of respect about client expectations regarding software evolution for the same device.