Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: None yet
My Carrier: None yet
Accepted Solution

BB Pin connection

I was wondering, what connection is needed to send messages while using a BB Pin number? Is it at the same cost as a text message or would I get charged for making a short connection to the internet?

I was wondering this, because a friend of me told me that he doesn't get charged for anything where he lives, so I wonder if this goes for everywhere or just only at certain places? (note, I live in Belgium, if that makes any difference or not)

Cedric

Highlighted
Solutions: 6,378
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BB Pin connection

Connection needed: by having the BlackBerry Data Plan on your mobile provider account.

Charges? PIN messages are sent via part of your Data package, so if you have an unlimited Data Plan, there is no charge. If you have capped (say 500mb per month), then the PIN messaging comes from that plan if you go over the plan cap, it could cost.

So, what sort of Data Plan do you have? That will answer your question.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Right now I'm at a system where I am charged x cents per connection to the net I make if I am correct. Then I am allowed to 'surf on the web' for either 1 hour or untill I reached the data cap of that internet session.

With my current system it could turn out to be quite expensive I'm guessing?

Cedric

Pretty odd plan.

What carrier is it with? I've never heard of a BlackBerry Data Plan of that sort, but i guess anything is possible.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Ah wait, I may have been mistaken there. That's the current data plan for my normal cellphone. There is a seperate one for a BB?

Sorry for not knowing, I'm 100% new to BlackBerry!

Cedric

Yes. All BlackBerry carriers have a specific BlackBerry Data Plan which includes data for the BlackBerry functions and services.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Ok. One last question, where can I find info about those data plans? Will it be at my normal mobile operator or does it work separated from that?

Cedric

New Contributor

Nevermind that last question! Have found it with some searching on google.

Thanks a lot for your help Smiley Happy

Cedric

New Contributor

One more question came up to me, if I'd receive messages via BB PIN, will I only know I received a message if my BB is connected to the internet? Or will I still get a notice?

And if I need to be connected to the internet, does it use a lot of bandwidth to just stay connected to the internet but not do anything on it?

Cedric

Forums Advisor II
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon

If you get a BB Data Plan, by whatever name your carrier calls it, that "connection" is open and independent of "surfing" the internet through your BB Browser.  You will have BBM messages sent to your device.  You can with a BB Data Plan, have your various email clients have new emails "pushed" to your BB. 

Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS 5.0.0.1015 My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!