Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

BB SW Update BRICKED my daughter's Curve!

Hi,

I'm new to these forums, and to the BlackBerry, having had my 8310 for only a few months (through my company). My daughter, however, has had her 8310 Curve since last March, and she has had intermittent problems with it. She has had to have it replaced under warranty by AT&T twice.

This last time, she discovered that her sounds had ceased - her alarm did nothing when it went off. The sounds later returned mysteriously, but she decided that that was the last straw. She wanted to take it back to the AT&T warranty center to get it replaced again, but I suggested she attempt to upgrade her system first. My theory was, since the new software was released, it would make sense to upgrade. My company phone has been upgraded (OTA) with no problems, so I thought (silly me) it would be just as easy to do my daughter's Curve.

The first thing I did was go to her Options/Advanced Options screen to do a wireless upgrade. However, that option was not available on that screen. Odd, I thought - her phone and mine are identical, and mine had the wireless upgrade option. So I came to these forums and looked for some assistance, and found the sticky at the top of the forum about the 4.5 software upgrade. I followed the link to the BlackBerry page that contained the download for the AT&T software (making sure I selected the AT&T multilanguage version of 4.5.0.182). I downloaded that version, but decided before launching it to use BlackBerry Desktop Manager instead. It dutifully reported that her Curve needed a software upgrade to 4.5.0.182, so I decided to attempt the upgrade over the USB connection. When it got to the point where it had backed up her phone and was ready to do the system backup prior to wiping it, the connection broke. Don't know why - I used the BB-supplied USB cable. So, the upgrade didn't happen that way.

The next thing I did was launch the AT&T download that I had retrieved from the BB link. It dutifully installed the latest BB Desktop Manager (5.0.1, I think), then when I hooked her Curve up to the computer it once again reported that she needed a software upgrade. I elected to do the upgrade, and it went through the process again, backing up the Curve to my computer and getting ready to wipe. This time, it again broke the connection, but when I chose "Retry" it seemed to proceed as normal, erasing the device in preparation for upgrading.

Now the fun begins. When the actual upgrade began, the device broke the connection again. I once again got the dialog box with the "Retry" and "Cancel" boxes, and clicked "Retry." But when I did that, the screen on the Curve went white and revealed an icon which I can only assume means, "No OS installed," along with the small number "507" underneath. The BB Desktop Manager appeared to be attempting to upgrade the software, but after leaving it setting like that all night there was no change in the status. So it is well and truly bricked.

My question now is, what is my recourse? Is there any possible way to recover this device (since the computer does not recognize it through the USB connection)? Do I simply need to take it back to AT&T and have them replace it (again)? And will the backup I did last night be restorable to the new BB (assuming they give her another Curve)?

I hope to get some answers fairly quickly, because I'll be able to hear the eruption from here when she discovers her Curve is a paperweight. Thanks in advance for your help, and your availability for BlackBerry users.

SW ver 4.5.0.182 (platform 2.70.106)
Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BB SW Update BRICKED my daughter's Curve!

Don't worry, it's not a paperweight. VERY likely, the earlier upgrade process made a back up of the device before the upgrade failed. It is likely there is some offending third party applicaiton or theme that "might" have caused the upgrade fail.

Correct, error 507 simply means no operating system is found.

First, do you have the full OS file downloaded to your PC?

Do that first.

Second, make CERTAIN that your USB cable is connected to a main REAR usb port. No hub or front USB port.

Right now, disconnect the USB from the BlackBerry, power down to off and reboot your PC.

Meanwhile, do a reboot on the BlackBerry > With the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery a few seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot.

Once both are back up and running, confirm that Desktop Manager is NOT loaded or running on your PC.

Follow these directions below:

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

IF you don't succeed with steps: You will need to use JL_Cmder to wipe the device and subsequently load the OS to the device. Follow the instructions here:

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_wipe_the_BlackBerry_using_Jl_Cmder%3F

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks for the info. I did a 507 search and discovered pretty much the same information. My daughter wants to go ahead and take it to the AT&T Warranty Service Center first, though, in hopes that the third time is the charm and they decide to upgrade her to an 8520 Curve. She has had problems with the 8310 since she got it, and this would be the third warranty exchange. If they decide not to swap it out, then I'll try the fix you describe above - plus I've got the Crackberry  fix that was posted on these forums earlier.

Even though the 8310 appears to be problematic, it's nice to know that it's hard to "brick" one, as opposed to the fruity phone put out by another iCompany. I'll report back on progress later. Thanks again.

Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

HInt, tell her to ask for an upgrde to the 8900 or 9700.

The 8520 isn't really an upgrade... in my book.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
New Contributor

Well, AT&T gave her another Curve 8310, but she seems to be OK with that - she's planning on getting another phone in November, anyway (I'll see if I can't convince her to get another BB - it'd be cheaper than that fruity phone). Weird thing, though, was when she put her SIM card in one of our spare phones, AT&T's computers figured she didn't need her BB data plan any more, so they removed it from my account - in addition to the Internet Browser on her Curve. But we got all that straightened out. Word to the wise, though, if you have a problem with your BB and you switch your SIM to another phone, you'll probably have to call 611 to get things set back right.

Thanks for your help!