Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

BB Shuts Down When Connecting To Desktop

[ Edited ]

I just got a BlackBerry Curve and was able to connect and sync with the BlackBerry Desktop Managment software only one time.  Since then, nada.  Everytime I plug into the USB, the BlackBerry either shuts down immediately (red light comes and BB tries a restart) or the desktop momentarily recognizes the device before it disconnects and shuts down.

I'm running Windows XP and BlackBerry Desktop Managment software version 4.3.0.17

Oh, and I've already uninstralled/reinstalled the desktop software and rolled back my system to an earlier date in case there was some conflict with other software.

I see others are having this problem too, but haven't seen a solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Message Edited by charper2430 on 05-16-2008 11:35 AM
New Contributor

Re: BB Shuts Down When Connecting To Desktop

I have exactly same issue with my BB 8330. There was only one time I can sync after that as stated the moment I plug the USB, it shuts down the BB and red LED comes up. BB tries to boot up but goes down. It's frustrating to say the least. If the problem does not get resolved, will have no option but to return the device. I'm not sure how could this easily reproducible problem has not been adressed before releasing the Curve 8330 to the world.

Hope someone from RIM responds to this soon and resolve the issue. I have seen many posts in many different forums regarding this issue. Apparently there is no Tech support on this issue.

New Developer

I had this problem for a long time.  After trying several different software configurations, I replaced the USB cable and the problem went away.
New Contributor

It can't be USB cable in my case, same usb cable just worked fine when I had pearl. It's something like drivers etc on the system.

I hope somoene from BB/RIM is reviewing this, provide some information and help out people who desperately need the connection to the system and are stuck with New "Curve".

I've had the same problem.  Tried two different Curves, two different sync cables, two difference pc's, and two different CD's to install the software and one downloaded version.  I've talked with Verizon tech support 5 times.  Eventually that got Blackberry on the phone.  The lady gave me a case number and transferred the call where I waited for (literally) 45 minutes.  After that I hung up, and return the Curve, ultimately exchanging it for a Pearl that works perfectly.  Makes me wonder if the devices are tested very well before going to market.
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had and have the same issue here as well. First time I plugged in my 8330 to my computer it connected fine then wipes the OS and started the whole shutdown reboot thing. After I finally got it to connect to my laptop at work I was able to FINALLY get the OS back on it and use my Curve.

I have tried on 3 different computers and it is only affected by 1 computer. My primary tower at home which is less then 4 months old with a quad core intel. My Pearl was never affected by this issue at all and still works flawlessly. I bought my Curve out right because I wanted the bigger screen and the picture message capability not knowing the headaches that came with it.

I sincerely hope that RIM is working on this because spending the amount of money that I do each month on service and the fact I out 2 blackberry's now and only one is 100% usable really ticks me to no end.

Sorry for the rant folks but I am with you on this. Tried just about everything short of reformatting my computer which I I refuse to even think about doing.

P.S.  Forgot to add.  Using Vista Home Premium. 

Message Edited by whitewolf68 on 05-22-2008 10:34 PM
New Contributor

I am having the same problem as everyone else. Called VZ tech support and they were no use.  Kept telling me it my PC.  Exchanged the BB for a new one and same problem still.  The PC will see it for about 15 sec then the power cycles on the BB.  Any one find out a solution yet?

Thanks,

Brien

Runnnig XP Pro SP2 and nother USB items have any problems.   

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have not found any solution yet, and there is no need in exchanging them. I'M BEGINNING TO WONDER IF BLACKBERRY/RIM IS PAYING ANY ATTENTION TO THIS?

It's beyond my comprehension, why/how RIM release this product to the world and sit on this and not fix this problem. We may have to do something big to escalate this issue so that people who are buying Curve will not fall into this trap. I have wasted so much of my time finding work around..I'm about done with BlackBerry!!!! There is no fix, and Verizon techsupport is TOTALLY CLUELESS on this.

It's beyond frustrating!!!

Message Edited by gmav on 06-01-2008 12:22 AM
New Contributor

UPDATE!!!!

I got VZ to transfer me to BB/RIM.  The tech support guy had me download the new updtaed OS to my PC.  He said that we are going to reload the OS.  I asked him if it was going to be a problem if the BB keeps rebooting.  He said it should'nt.  So here we go.  All ofthe OS is deleted and the BB reboots in the middle of the reload.  That lead  to a failure, now the BB has no OS and is completely usless.  I cant beleive that this can happen.  I cant beleive that there is no fix for this and the fact that they dont even know about it.  Back to the store to return another brick.  

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's crazy.. just imagine how much time all of us are spending on this thing collectively. I might add all of us have busy life styles and have many important personal and business things to take care off instead of wasting time on this. It's pathetic that VZW as a company can't get BB/RIM developers to take a look at this widely known issue and demand a patch or fix.

That will get vzw and bb attention. We can't just wait on BB/RIM to release next version of OS for this fix. It's pathetic enough that VZW took months and months to get Curve..and after waiting all this time..the stupid thing does not work.

Message Edited by gmav on 06-01-2008 12:12 AM