Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: BB TORCH - Button Panel

You can get a replacement here for $6:

http://cnn.cn/shop/blackberry-torch-9800-keypad-qwerty-keyboard-p-9386.html

They just stick on with double-sided foam tape.  Not the greatest design but easy to replace.  I ordered 2 just to have in case I encounter the problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Same thing happened to my Torch 8 weeks after purchase only the entire right side of the button panel has lifted and is sticking straight up.  They told me today that a product advisory regarding this defect has been issued.   I hope it doesn't keep happening - it''s a pain to have to go through enterprise activation again

Contributor

I agree, sure hope they do something about it soon.  I've done the reactivation 3 times already!

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

The $6 replacement sure seems easier to me.  The buttons just stick on.  That being said, I've had mine for two months now and so far so good. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Carrier: ATT

It seems ridiculous to pay $400 for a phone and have to buy replacement parts already - shoddy craftsmanship by Rim. 

Guru II

I agree.  However, when faced with the issue you have to decide what to do.  $6 for the buttons or replace the device, new pin, new registration codes for purchased apps, etc.  $6 is so much easier, that's all.  I'm not denying that it's a problem. 

Contributor

That is my point exactly.  I've paid for a phone, and poor craftmanship should not be the issue.  Blackberry needs to step up and fix the issue!

Guru II

Then return it and get something else. You can probably get an exchange for another Torch from your carrier with no problem but you have to go through the trouble of reactivationg (if on BES), new pin, transferring licenses, data, etc. Maybe you can convince them to exchange it for something else. But that means evem more hassle.

We all know it shouldn't happen. I don't have ANY warranty on my device since mine is unlocked and I'm another carrier. I bought two of those button pads for just in case. I haven't replaced one yet but it looks as easy as putting on a screen protector and 1/4 the cost. Its up to you. Exchange it and go through the hassle or just put on a new button pad move on. There likely won't be a real fix until the phone is redesigned. Maybe they can find a better adhesive...I don't know. I haven't seen one come apart yet. Is it the foam tearing or is it the adhesive coming unstuck? You just need to be realistic and realize there is only so much that can be done at this point.

My Device: Torch 8900
My Carrier: Rogers

I have had my phone for 1 day and I"m having the exact same isse. Blackberry needs to step up to the plate for this, because I'm reading that there are a lot of instances of this same issue.

Guru II

Take it back to where you purchased it. They will replace it. I've had mine since September and haven't had a problem.