Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

BB Tour has garbled HTML weird lettering random numbers symbols? What to do?

[ Edited ]

Hi, I was sent here by BB Help on Twitter.   My BB Tour has worked fine with no problems receiving and being able to read emails.  I have my AOL, GMail and Yahoo linked to my BB, and could view multiple posts with no problem. 

Now, I am a working actress.  I utilize my BB as my portable office, to read emails, submit for gigs electronically and answer incoming calls for auditions and paid work/acting jobs.  So my BB is vital to me.

Last month, I got weird emails that had the subject line start with "HTML..." followed by dots, dashes, random figures and numbers.  Open the email and more random capitalization letters, numbers and symbols which I assumed, was the HTML or some coding was off.  But.  This was ONLY happening with one company who I have send me casting notices for possible acting work.  I have two accounts with the casting notice place, and the same error was only occurring with only one casting company in particular.  When I reached out to the casting notice place, after some investigating and going back and forth, with me even reaching out to my phone carrier just to figure this all out, the casting notice place determined it was Blackberry's issue to resolve.

Below I attach sample screenshots of my BB on what I see from the casting notice place so you can see what I view.  No other emails from any other company or person or entity is giving me this problem.  Only certain emails from that casting company that posts through this cssting notice place.  The other casting companies that post on this site don't show a problem when I view them on my BB either.    When I brought this up to the casting notice people, they advised I should just stop using BB and get another phone.

On Twitter, BB Help advised to turn off HTML, but while it seemed to work initially, Ithe symbols and letters were gone and I could read the notice, it also got rid of the direct hot link that sent me to submit for work thru the email while on BB, and overnight, the garbled stuff came back again so I switched the HTML back on.  There is a mobile app link but....the app they have I don't use because it taxes the browser, delays time in getting to the site and sends me through some backdoor of the log-in page and is not easy to navigate and can crash my phone.  Doesn't help me to submit for work in a timely manner let alone read what I'm submitting for!

I love Blackberry. Tte casting notice place advised me it would reach out to Blackberry about it but I haven't heard any new updates since.  I'm at a loss and losing access to submit and get work.  Advice?

garbled HTML

scrolling down, same email

scrolling down again, same email

still scrolling - to the end, SAME email viewing!

how the email looks before I open it, can't even read Subject Re Line!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BB Tour has garbled HTML weird lettering random numbers symbols? What to do?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

First, refer:

This site is not BB nor formal support of any kind...just other users who volunteer to try and help others out.

I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

But if the behavior continues in Safe Mode, then you may need to consider more drastic actions -- WIPE, OS Reload, BBSAK Wipe/Reload, and the "Bare Bones" OS Reload Process. To prepare, you should be sure that you have a full backup to your PC...please review the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post for instructions.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Re: BB Tour has garbled HTML weird lettering random numbers symbols? What to do?

Hi, thanks for being the first to welcome me and provide helpful links to discuss formal (direct to Blackberry itself)  vs. informal, meaning these forums and the voluneers involved. 

The Blackberry Help at Twitter is presented on Twitter as the only way to reach Official Blackberry -- and they sent me a link to better explain because 140 characters weren't cutting it to provide details -- and that's how I got here to the forums.

The resulting end impression I got is that if the casting notice people did or didn't reach out to Blackberry, then that's an ouch.  .And perhaps a sign I've been too stubborn to face.

Anyone else with advice?  Thanks kindly.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Just to be clear, they likely could not have reached out directly to BB...very few people can do that. The formal support methods, as contractually required, start with the carriers, authorized resellers, or original places of purchase...if they cannot resolve it, they have formal channels by which to escalate cases up to BB. Somehow, I doubt the casting folks did that. Can't know for sure, of course, but I'd surmise not.

ressydm wrote:

Anyone else with advice?  Thanks kindly.

So, the other things I provided above are of no use? Confused...or are you insistent that you want to reach BB and will try nothing else? If so, then what I've provided is the method to do that.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

I appreciate your reach out.   And JUST to clarify, what I wrote about the casting notice place telling me they would reach out to Blackberry was simply that, it was what I was TOLD, not necessarily what I believe.  I read your iniital post in its entirety believe ir or not.

What I had hoped to present clearly is that the suspicion is pointing to one particular casting company.  The trail is becoming more obvious that it's not BB's issue, not the carrier's issue.  And it could be something simple like the Casting Notice place upating their code.  But this is a targetted piece, and does not affect any other casting company emails sent from the casting notice place, just the ones targetted from the one casting company.  Doing some more research, I have arranged to go to the casting company itself.   This is targetted, so I am going to the casting company office and see if they will lie to my face or simply save us all time and tell the truth.  It is NOT the phone, of that I am sure.  Before I plunk down $200 plus for a new upgraded phone I just had to be sure.

When I asked if anyone else had encountered this, I was rather disappointed that no one else in this dynamic community could muster a response.  I don't know what that says of Blackberry's future, but are the fans all that isolated or just don't care?

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III

ressydm wrote:

When I asked if anyone else had encountered this, I was rather disappointed that no one else in this dynamic community could muster a response.  I don't know what that says of Blackberry's future, but are the fans all that isolated or just don't care?

Given the utility of this site, it is difficult to provide a response. My opinion, is that the typical use of this site is someone has a problem, they post their question, and someone tries to provide them a solution. There is little discussion by multiple members...this is more of a support site than a social site. Sometimes, folks will chime in with "yeah, I've seen that", but I'd say that's not the normal method here. Folks lead busy lives, and very few really have time to read everything here and chime in with things. So, I cannot reach any conclusion about BBs future based on the utility of this site...it serves quite well the purpose it is here for....but that does not, IMHO, extend to any prognosis for BBs future. But, like all things, that's just my own opinion.

Good luck!