Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry bold 9790
My Carrier: Virgin

BB bold 9790 problem receiving emails

Hello,

I've just had my new BlackBerry Bold 9790 delivered yesterday and I have problem receiving emails on it.

I can send emails from it without problems but when it comes to receiving either:

1. I purely and simply don't get the email
  2. I receive the email with a delay of 6 to 10 minutes
  3. I receive the email with a delay of 2 hours

Would make more sense to me if I just didn't receive anything!

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Find this handset far to fiddly to set up and seriously thinking of sending it back

Kind regards

ExpatRat

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: BB bold 9790 problem receiving emails

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

Go to Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > Host Routing Table, press the BB Menu button and select Register Now. Next resend your service books by going to Setup > Email Settings, press the BB Menu button and select Service Books, then Send Service Books.  This will help if there are any issues between your device and the BlackBerry data network.  A battery pull may also help at times - to do this, with your device on, simply remove the battery for 15-30 seconds, reinsert and wait for the device to reboot.

Also as a heads up, if you're using the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) (i.e. you aren't on BES from work), there may be a delay in the delivery of emails depending on your email service provider. If you're connecting to a POP email address, the BlackBerry network will poll your email account ~15 minutes and will push those emails to you when it finds a new email in your account.

To get full push email, you either need to be on BES, or you need to use an email service on an Exchange server (e.g. Hotmail). At this point, condition #2 you listed above, is perfectly normal for most BIS users.

Most often a longer delay than that has to do with a communication issue between your email service provider and BIS. What email host are you using?

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated! 

Have just tried your solution, test email not received yet on handset.

As you may have guessed I'm not a technical person, my email account is with Gmail. I need to receive emails on phone for work purposes (self-employed translator) and I'm afraid a delay of 15 minutes isn't acceptable...

Any other suggestions? 

Thanks again, 

Kind regards, 

ExparRat

Elite I

What settings are you using for your email account? I've checked with some friends of mine who use Gmail and they say their emails are all instant. Try deleting your email account from your BlackBerry, then set it up again. Make sure to select Gmail from the list in the add email account section, then input your Gmail email address and password.

That should do it. If it doesn't, let us know.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

Well, I never had any (noticeable) delays whith my old BB Curve...

I have already done the delete/reset account  you decribe several times today and it didn't change anything I'm afraid...

FYI the test email I have sent 58 min ago has still not arrived on the handset yet (received almost immedialty on my PC and on my PlayBook)

Thanks again for your help,

Kind regards

ExpatRat

Elite I

I've asked some other friends to see if they might have any suggestions. What OS version is the Bold running? You can get this info by going to Options > Device > About Device Versions.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Just to verify, you aren't using an imap setup with gmail, are you? Google provides some instructions to setup gmail using an imap server address but it is not recommended to do it that way since email will be delayed.

You should just set it up with your email and password following the prompts from the BB. It has always been instant for me utilizing that setup process.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Did you setup email and put in your password on device?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Could it be v7.1.0.714 Platform 9.16.0.158 ?

New Contributor

Eerrrr sorry to be thick but I don't know what is an imap setup with gmail... just using the BlackBerry setup wizzard and prompts...

Thanks again for your help and patience!