Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

BB desktop manager password problem

I started up BB Desktop manager, and it asked for the password to my BB so it could connect (all normal so far), and I entered my password in the pc.

However, this time it didn't accept the password, and asked me to try again.

I tried several times, down until I had five tries left,.

I shut down DM and went to the BB to unlock it from there - I put in my password and got "incorrect password."

I tried to enter it again, and now instead of getting the normal prompt I get "Enter 'Blackberry' to continue." and any entries I make are no longer masked....I'm confused, 'cause:

1. I'm sure I entered the right password on my PC in DM. I know, and I ensured that caps lock or numlock weren't on. I've never had any PW problems in the past.

2. Now is my last chance to enter the password correctly(9/10)and i didnt backup any of my data
Could anyone help me please!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BB desktop manager password problem

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

You have only one chance left and, if you fail, all of your personal data will be wiped clean...there is no way to stop that. The only way is to enter the correct password. What happened at your 5th attempt was that it started to show you the clear text password to help you know that you are entering it correctly (before that it was just showing *****). It is most likely that the keyboard, when you enter the password, has either caps lock, alt, or some other key modifier on it...or that it has that modifier on it now. There is now way for us to know...you must determine what is most likely the cause and try one more time...but it will wipe it out if you fail...and there is no way to avoid that.

Lacking a backup, you sadly are likely about to migrate from the latter part of this philosophical statement to the former part:

• There are two kinds of computing device users...those who have lost data, and those who will.

Good luck and let us know!

Message Edited by sdgardne on 09-24-2009 11:45 AM

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

To add to what sdgarne has stated, for instance,

If you thought your password was "w123", try "wers".

The pw has not changed, it is just not what you thought it was, and you found out by using a real keyboard/Desktop Manager.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

i'm making the pincode and the passwords similar. but just after i connect and try to input my bb to the DM ,i can pass through the pincode but i'm still  stucked in the phone passwords.

isnt that weird?

New Contributor

so if i input numeric passwords without pressing alt button, it means that my passwords is alphabetic?
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Quite possibly.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

sdgardne wrote:
Quite possibly.

Agreed.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: 9000

[ Edited ]
Also be careful at one point RIM had either a bug or code that if 911 or cww was in your password it would initiate a 911 call. I can see that it is fixed or not working in 5.0.0.190 but not sure since it has not been released yet.
Message Edited by caspan on 2009-09-25 01:28 PM
New Contributor

I had the same exact problem, I've been using blackberry for 8years and never had this happen to me.....I plugged my BB to Sync with Desktop and it requested password, its never requested a password before, I entered the password which is numeric and nothing.  I disconnected my BB from desktop and tried unlocking it normally with the password that I've used previously but unfortunately I'm down to my last try.....I can't imagine why it did that out of the blue and how come my regular password will not work....any help is appreciated

Hall of Famer III

rainman1973 wrote:

I had the same exact problem, I've been using blackberry for 8years and never had this happen to me.....I plugged my BB to Sync with Desktop and it requested password, its never requested a password before, I entered the password which is numeric and nothing.  I disconnected my BB from desktop and tried unlocking it normally with the password that I've used previously but unfortunately I'm down to my last try.....I can't imagine why it did that out of the blue and how come my regular password will not work....any help is appreciated

If you are on your last try, then there is little hope. You have only the one last time to get it right, whatever it is. If you fail, your BB will wipe clean. There is no way to stop it. There is no way to bypass it. Hopefully you have a recent backup.

Good luck and let us know!