Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

KBN
Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BB desktop manager password problem

Hi, I'm with the same problem and down to 9/10 attemps.  It counted attemps such as  "type blackberry" and there goes another attempt, nothing happened.

My password is just 4 numbers and recall as I was attempting it "showed" the letters belonging to the numbers. If I know want to try my last chance I can't.  It is asking me to type blackberry!!!

What should I do?

Any suggestion?  PLEASE HELP!!!!Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

The only suggestions are as previously posted. There are no workarounds. If you fail to enter the password correctly the 10th time, your device will wipe clean. There is no way to stop it. There is nothing that can be done. If you are sure you can type the proper password on the device itself, then untether and do so on the device to reset the password counter. And pay close attention to exactly what the characters are that are typing...they may or may not be what you think they are.

Good luck.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9360

Same problem. I have never been able to sync my 9360 because of this. I bought this phone for personal use then it was set up with BB Enterprise. When it wasn't needed anymore, this was removed. I tried to sync and save my info. It didn't work the first time so I wiped it and lost all my info. I have reset my BB ID multiple times because of it. I usually have just given up. When I plug in my phone to my desktop and get the prompt to "Enter device password to grant access". I enter my BB ID Password correctly and it says it's incorrect. I've read other solutions ie. type the numbers in your password as letters. Still doesn't work. I'm so frustrated!! Please please please help! I don't want to wipe my phone again. I have more work contacts now than before.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

BMarlow2014 wrote:

Same problem. I have never been able to sync my 9360 because of this. I bought this phone for personal use then it was set up with BB Enterprise. When it wasn't needed anymore, this was removed. I tried to sync and save my info. It didn't work the first time so I wiped it and lost all my info. I have reset my BB ID multiple times because of it. I usually have just given up. When I plug in my phone to my desktop and get the prompt to "Enter device password to grant access". I enter my BB ID Password correctly and it says it's incorrect. I've read other solutions ie. type the numbers in your password as letters. Still doesn't work. I'm so frustrated!! Please please please help! I don't want to wipe my phone again. I have more work contacts now than before.

Hello,

This is very confusing. It is impossible for Enterprise to be set up on your device if you are not part of a BES environment. Impossible. So I do not understand that portion at all.

Further, the BBID credentials and the device lock password are completely separate. So when it prompted for your device password and it rejected your BBID credential, that sounds exactly like what it should do (since they are not the same). So I do not understand that either.

All in all, I do not understand what your situation is...mixing up these separate things causes it to be quite difficult to actually understand what is happening with your situation. So all I can do is ask you for clarification...I wish I could do more, but I can't see you nor your device, and the information you provide just makes no sense to me.

Sorry, but let us know.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply, sdgardne, and sorry for the confusion. I wish I didn't have to publically post a question that makes me feel completely embarrassed. 

I want to upgrade phones which is why I want all my contacts backed up. And this is exactly why I usually just gave up. Forums aren't my thing. Especially when I don't know exactly what I'm asking. After finding out that there is no direct way of calling a BB tech support, here I am. Yay.

Ok. The enterprise comment was background if needed. I guess it wasn't.  

sdgardne wrote:
Further, the BBID credentials and the device lock password are completely separate. So when it prompted for your device password and it rejected your BBID credential, that sounds exactly like what it should do (since they are not the same). So I do not understand that either.

This was what was tripping me up. I didn't know what password was needed with  "Enter device password to grant access". I thought this was the same password that I use to unlock my device. It wasn't. I thought it was the BBID. I wasn't. Where do I find/get this password? 
Hope this helped (?)
Thanks

Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

BMarlow2014 wrote:

This was what was tripping me up. I didn't know what password was needed with  "Enter device password to grant access". I thought this was the same password that I use to unlock my device. It wasn't. I thought it was the BBID. I wasn't. Where do I find/get this password? 

It is your security password. Same as you would enter when you reboot the phone or it goes to sleep and the lock screen appears.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks JSanders!

So, when i prompted for a password on the phone itself, I typed in the 'unlock' password as you mentioned. SUCCESS!

Then the BB Desktop Software is also asking for a password; "Unlock BB Device". I typed in the same password and it didn't work! I'm on my 5th attempt.

?????

Hall of Famer III

The password prompted for by the Desktop Software and the password you assigned to lock your BB are indeed the same password. But, perhaps you've got a mixture of different characters in your device password, and perhaps have not noticed how you must enter those on the BB keyboard. For instance, if your password is

• ab123

and you enter

• a > b > ALT > 1 > 2 > 3

the actual result will be

• ab1er

You must enter

• a > b > ALT > 1 > ALT > 2 > ALT > 3

in order to wind up with ab123. So, in this example, while on the BB keyboard you think you are typing ab123, you are actually typing ab1er.

On your BB, when you type your password, you should get just a moment where each character is shown in the clear before it changes to an *. Watch closely the next time and you may see a surprising result. It will be those exact characters that you must type on your PC keyboard as that's actually your password.

Good luck!

Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Exactly what @sdgardne said.

Often users who have multiple numerals in their password will only press the ALT key for the first numeral and not those following, so for instance, if your password were "1234", you might have been pressing "Alt 1234" on the device, which makes the actual password to be "1ers".

Does that make sense? Does it sound familar to your usage?

So check the way you enter your password on the device... do you think you are entering multiple numbers but actually are not?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thank you both very much! It worked!!