Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8520
My Carrier: O2

BB8520 update to latest software

my phone provider in UK O2 recommended I update my phone software - which is currently v5.0.0.681

They sent me BB link to page which recommended I install BB Desktopsoftware go my MacBook Air initially

I have done this and in snyc'ing the device it has:

1) removed my contacts (I do appear to have a backup which has them in it)

2) there does not appear to be an 'update phone software" tab in my BB desktop software

Can anyone help with how

a) I might update to latest software and

b) restore my contacts to phone - I suppose I can do this from restore and then simply be back to where I started - so 

I suppose my main question is how do I get latest update - if indeed there is a more recent to the one I have on phone t moment ie. more recent to v5.0.0.681?

ANyone can help?

Thanks

Nigel

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: BB8520 update to latest software

Hello NigelCunningham

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

If you're a Mac user then you're limited to your Carrier sanctioned OS pack , you can refer to this Article on how to update using Desktop Sopftware for Mac :

How to update your BlackBerry device software using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Mac

Good luck.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

[ Edited ]

Hello Nigel,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community.

Thank you for your question regarding updating to the latest version of BlackBerry Device Software.

As advised by Prince, device software availability is determined by your mobile service provider. You can check available versions here: 

http://uk.blackberry.com/support/apps-and-software/desktop-and-device-download-sites.html

You should be able to restore your contacts from the existing backup file if created while your contacts were present by using the following process:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB18776

Thank you.

-FB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click "Accept as a Solution" for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Thank you Prince

Yes O2 were the source of me trying to update the software in the first place - and as I found out their ability to deal with Blackberry based queries stretches only as far as how far the individual operator is familiar with (the latest) Blackberry system ie. they don't have a dedicated Blackberry resource. 

I had updated my BB software in Dec and was advised to update despite already having the most receent version (which is not v recent given the age of the phone).

The whole issue was prompted by me trying to install Viber on my my MAC and responding to prompts about whether I have Viber on phone -in trying to install it on BB - the installation was 'incomplete' and resulted in problems with my Contacts - hence the original call to O2 to find out what I could do.

Sorry - for this long-winded narrative - you fallen asleep yet?

Anyway many thanks for your interest and recommendations/help.

In future I will refer to this Forum rather than O2 - much more informed and device specific

Thanks again

Nigel

New Contributor

Thank you FB

Have replied to Prince and won't duplicate in response to you.

Safe to say that I very much appreciate the reliability and scope of this Forum in being able to respond to BB issues - compared to my provider - O2

Will definitely recommend to others

Thanks again

Nigel

Highlighted
Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Hello Nigel

You are most welcome ..  You can always join us and share any problem ,We'll be glad to help you with any issues with your BlackBerry .

NigelCunningham wrote:

Sorry - for this long-winded narrative - you fallen asleep yet?

No Nigel .. I'll like to hear from you often Smiley Happy

Cheers!

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.