Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 9700
My Carrier: Movistar

BB9700 - Could I use WIFI with Data Services OFF?

Hi all,

I have a BlackBerry 9700 with a Data Plan, and it's was all perfect using 3G and WIFI browsing and using internet, but the thing is that I have to travel out of the country next week for a month and I don't want to pay BlackBerry Data Services Roaming ... I only want my cellphone working with voice and sms, and use internet when I got a HotSpot with WIFI...

So I tried to turn OFF the Data Services and connect to the HotSpot from my work.... and it can't connect!! and show this message "Failed to obtain an IP address"... but if I turn ON the Data Services and try again using WIFI... it can connect to the same HotSpot, obtain an IP and everything works normally....

My question is.... could I use WIFI with Data Services OFF? because that is when I really need WIFI services, because with Data Services ON, I can always use my 3G services and never need WIFI in my city...

If the answer is YES... then How can I configure it???

thanks in advance!

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: BB9700 - Could I use WIFI with Data Services OFF?

Hi cycmarcelo,

You cannot use BlackBerry features on Wi-Fi with data services off.  You can however, turn off Mobile Network so the BlackBerry will only access through Wi-Fi.  Basically, if your Wi-Fi icon is White, you are connected using Wi-Fi.  You can also verify this by going into Manage Connections and choosing Services Status.

Hope that helps!

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

My Device: blackberry curve 8530
My Carrier: telus

i realize that you cannot use wifi with data off and nor can you use mobile/3g data with data off, but you can turn off mobile network so that no calls nor 3g data will work and then turn on mobile data and use your wifi without using any mobile network data.  This is a nice option, but a nicer option that would not make me feel like i am being corralled into leaving my mobile network on while i use my wifi so that i can still recieve texts, would be to supply a different software upgrade or app so that blackberry owners can turn off mobile data separate from mobile network and also separate from wifi data. because someimes when i am using my wifi and have left my mobile network on so i can text my wife while on the road i loose wifi connection and the phone automatically starts to connect to mobile data without my knowing. i think this is done intentionally by blackberry at the demand from service3 providers to make money from thier data plans despite the ability of phone owners to use thier own wifi connections to save money wherever they can. is there any plans in the future on the behalf of blacknerry to make this an option in the future, it would be a mere programming change that is not difficult to do. on the same page where you go to turn off data, you merely have to make three options instead of two. #1 turn off mobile data, #2 turn off wifi data, # turn off all data. that way you can leave your phones mobile network connected so you can recieve calls and texts at the same time as using your wifi network to parouse the net without having to keep one eye peeled for a loss of wifi connection so your phone bill doesnt not go out of control especially if your are frequently traveling outside of your coverage area and the roaming data fees are too steep for anyone to put up with. i realise that corporate providers hold more sway than my lonely self when it comes to software design decisions. but i would personally pay up to ten dollars for an paid download app like this because in the long run i would be saving more than that on a monthly basis. and that is a cash grab for your company and you could split the profit with your service providers because either way i am going to keep them from getting roaming charges out of my pocket the best i can, but this way it would be less annoying for me and you and the providers would be making money off me that you would otherwise not be making off me because i refuse to pay roaming data charges.Smiley Wink

Contributor
My Device: 8120
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless Inc

budbiker wrote:

but this way it would be less annoying for me and you and the providers would be making money off me that you would otherwise not be making off me because i refuse to pay roaming data charges.Smiley Wink

It would also be ncie if RIM included an ICON for the Hotspot browser so we don't have to change the default browser all the timez.

Yep.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Hi CPT_Sweatpants...

Let me get this crystal clear... in order to use data services overseas with wifi, we must go to MANAGE CONNECTIONS, and then TURN ALL CONNECTIONS OFF? 

And then go to OPTIONS, then MOBILE NETWORK, and select DATA SERVICES 'ON', and WHILE ROAMING 'ON' also??

or is this okay to be OFF??

meaning that we cannot use the phone for receiving calls or texts while using wifi?

I had a curve 8900 before and never had all this complication.. what is the reason for a newer model being more complicated? It seems a backwards step with no good reason...

anyway, the first questions before the line are what i need answered ASAP, as i am overseas and cant even get the bloody thing to connect to ANY wifi - it says its connected, but the wifi logo is grey. It wont go white. I guess that is another issue, your advice on that would be very much appreciated.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Hi samwren,

When you enable Wi-Fi on your BlackBerry, it will try to use the Wi-Fi connection to connect to the BlackBerry infrastructure.  When the connection is successful, the Wi-Fi icon will turn white (instead of it's initial gray). You can also verify this by going into Manage Connections then Services Status.  This will show you which services are connected to Mobile Network and which services are connected to Wi-Fi.

It should look like this indicating that my BlackBerry Internet Service and BlackBerry Enterprise Server are using Wi-Fi to connect even though my mobile network is enabled:

2497i38EF0934BDEA51D0

My suggestion is to turn on Wi-Fi and turn off Mobile Network.  Ensure your Wi-Fi icon turns white and using the Services Status (as mentioned above) verify the Wi-Fi connection.  Then turn your mobile network back on.  Your data connection should still indicate that its using Wi-Fi to connect and you will still receive phone calls and text messages.

If you disable data services while roaming, this will completely disable the data services.

Hope this helps!

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 3g 9300
My Carrier: Orange

Could I use WIFI with Data Services OFF?

[ Edited ]

Could please somebody from RIM tell me ONE reason why disabling Data Services also disables data transfers over WiFi ? It simply does not make sense to me !

On the other side, it would provide many benefits to BB users if it only dosabled Mobile Network Data Services (in fact the option to disable Data Services is in the Mobile Network Option submenu, isn't it ?).

New Contributor
My Device: curve 9300
My Carrier: vodafone

Hi Cpts,

I appreciate its been a while since this topic has had some action, but Ive just got my curve 9300 and your post

showing the connections does not match mine..... Ive followed your suggestions and when my wifi only is switched on the Status shows:

BB internet service - not connected

BB enterprise service - not connected

although both are

but when the mobile network is connected all BB services change to mobile........can this be corrected..

and also

when I use reverse contrast, my pics turn into Negatives, thats strange dont you think?

and do you have any idea why my phone was registered in June 2011 when I only bought it a couple of days ago?

Cheers

Doogie

New Contributor
My Device: 9700 Bold

What if I unlock the phone? at that point I can use my phone overseas with another carrier and use wi-fi free spots at the same time too, right?

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Could I use WIFI with Data Services OFF?

glypto wrote:

Could please somebody from RIM tell me ONE reason why disabling Data Services also disables data transfers over WiFi ? It simply does not make sense to me !

On the other side, it would provide many benefits to BB users if it only dosabled Mobile Network Data Services (in fact the option to disable Data Services is in the Mobile Network Option submenu, isn't it ?).

Okay, here's ONE reason why that happens.  Data Services on your phone includes ALL data services, including data being sent over Wi-Fi.  You can't disconnect it if you want to receive it, can you?

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.