Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: BB9700 - Could I use WIFI with Data Services OFF?

Well Me too... Hot spot Browser is the only option, try finding it !!!

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

There seems to be some confusion here about browser configuration.  In OS 5 phones, you could choose the browser to use.  If you wanted to specifically use the Hotspot Browser, you could choose it.  In OS 6 phones, your phone will pick the browser that is best suited to what you are doing.  The option of you choosing it yourself has been removed.

I hope that clears things up for everyone.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Contributor
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: Orange

Thanks for clearing that up. It seems a backward step to me.

I will now revert to OS 5 

Contributor
My Device: torch 9810
My Carrier: orange

Hi i'm not sure i understand you but, i'm on Orange and if i want to ONLY use my home wi-fi and not my mobile data package what do i do? do i tick mobile network or wifi? and which network mode should i put it on 2g, 3g or 2g and 3g?

Say if i have only ticked the wifi box and my home wifi is coming up and in the corner of my TORCH 9810 it says off does that mean i am not using my mobile contract internet, sorry for the hassle its just i keep going over by a few MB each month( at the moment i am on 250MB each month)

Also are there any ways to save MB? eg shutting down apps...?

Contributor
My Device: Curve 9320, Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: 02

hi - I'm sure you'll have worked this out by now, but just in case

Assuming you had a data plan sim for your BB already when you bought it, internet services should be working as described above. Without a data plan you have a device that works as a WiFi-connected browser, but you will not have any RIM push email or other applications. All of this thread has been based on the assumption that users have a BB data plan from their carrier/provider, not just an ordinary sim.

As to the page you can't find, you have been in the relevant section already to switch connections on and off.   Just scroll down and you should find 'services status'; I have an 8520 btw.

Hope this helps but I'm sure you've sorted it by now!

Contributor
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: Orange

Thanks very much for coming up with that advice!

I don't have a BB contract, the phone was bought untied and I put my own SIM in it which is for phone only.

I have given up with it for the moment. 

Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: T-Mo

[ Edited ]

Here's my situation and perhaps members of this thread can help.

I have a BB Bold 9700 locked to T-Mobile USA.  I have the latest version of the BB OS.

Shortly, I will be traveling outside the USA.  In the past, with NON-WIFI BB's that I had through T-Mobile, I signed up for an approx. $20 per month plan with T-Mo US that allowed me to send and receive emails while traveling abroad.  While abroad, mobile phone calls were charged at a (high) rate (separate from the abovementioend "email data" plan) and I understand that if I browsed the web or used a BB app that accessed the web, I'd be charged a (high) rate for data access via the cell phone network.

Now, with this new(ish) phone, I have a few apps - notably TripIt, Evernote, a weather app, UberTween and a couple of Google-based apps that appear to frequently access the web (presumably via the cell network as I'm rarely near a WiFi access point when they update).

Obviously, this poses a problem as I would like to be able to make and receive calls and send and receive emails but NOT have the phone access the web (e.g. through the browser or through the apps) without my "permission."

Amoungst the OPTIONS > NETWORKS AND CONNECTIONS > MOBILE NETWORK - I was hoping to somehow set "Data Services" [On or Off]

"While Roaming" [ On Off or Prompt]

and/or

"Connection Preference" [Mobile Network Only, Mobile Network Preferred Wi-Fi Only or Wif-Fi Preferred]

to the appropriate options to keep the "phone" portion of my BB and the email portion of my BB working and accessing the phone network and have the "web" or "data" portions/programs of/on my BB locked out (or at least locked out b/c they can't find a WiFi access point) to avoid a mega data bill upon return.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

New Contributor
My Device: BB-9550
My Carrier: MTN nigeria

data services not available on BB storm connected on WI-FI

I Have the same problem on my Blackberry 9550. I am at a remote location.

I can connect to the wireles network, my data services is set to on and while roaming set to on.

Service status is as follows:

Mobile voice:

connection: not connected

Blackberry INternet services:

Connection: not connected

Blackberry Enterprice server:

connection:not connected

Mobile network = off

Mobile network provider

Not connected

Wi-fi Network:

Active profile:  PCAB

SSID PCAB

Type:802.11b/g

Bluetooth:

off

I can browse from the browser but all other application does not work, it gives an error that data services not available the same with all my instant messaging including BBM.

Could this be because am in a remote location where there are no carrier network, and why is my wifi connected to carrier network for my data services to work on my BB.

Thanks urgent response is required.

New Contributor
My Device: BB-9550
My Carrier: MTN nigeria

Re: BB9700 - Could I use WIFI with Data Services OFF?-data services not available

I Have the same problem on my Blackberry 9550. I am at a remote location.

I can connect to the wireles network, my data services is set to on and while roaming set to on.

Service status is as follows:

Mobile voice:

connection: not connected

Blackberry INternet services:

Connection: not connected

Blackberry Enterprice server:

connection:not connected

Mobile network = off

Mobile network provider

Not connected

Wi-fi Network:

Active profile:  PCAB

SSID PCAB

Type:802.11b/g

Bluetooth:

off

I can browse from the browser but all other application does not work, it gives an error that data services not available the same with all my instant messaging including BBM.

Could this be because am in a remote location where there are no carrier network, and why is my wifi connected to carrier network for my data services to work on my BB.

Thanks urgent response is required.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: 02

I am currently abroad and using only the wireless option with data enabled, however the roaming option is turned off. I am unable to make or receive calls as I have mobile network off. If I turn mobile network on, I am able to make and receive calls/texs, but will I be charged roaming costs?I also see a red triangle when I turn on mobile network, but I still have the data services off whilst roaming I am not connecting to the internet at all, unless I am in a wifi zone I am happy to be charged for any calls I make/receive as I need my network on to keep in touch with colleagues whilst abroad but not if it means I am going to connected to the internet 24/7?! I have data services off constantly whilst roaming.
To sum up,
Basically I want to be able to make/receive calls/texts but not be connected to the internet 24/7 like a normal BB at home. How do I do this?
Thanks!!