Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Indosat

BBM 5 status update failed when over 100 contacts

I have found BBM 5.0.0.33 and BBM 5.0.0.55 will not update your status if you have over than 100 contacts.

This has been tested a verified by many blackberry messenger users, with different phones, and different versions of the OS.

There is no solution and almost everything has been tried, from re-installing the OS, to re-adding contacts individually etc..

The only thing to do is to delete your contacts so as the total is below or equal to 100.

I am shocked and surprised that RIM has not acknowledged this problem, nor have they fixed this in the 0.55 release.

It seems to be a trivial problem, with a magic number of 100 contacts. 

If RIM is trying to prevent the servers from overloading with status update info, at least increase the limit to 200 contacts, as most people will have less than 200 contacts, but a lot have over 100.

The magic number should be 200

My Device: BlackBerry 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: BBM 5 status update failed when over 100 contacts

[ Edited ]

I  just realized this was the problem with my BBM! I have the exact same issue where u can change the display name and picture with no problem but if you the status message is not updated with over 100 contacts. I found this out by adding myself as a contact! When i went over 100 contacts again, I tried to change it and it failed! RIM shoud definitely be on top of this! Having a limit on contacts for the device to work properly is SIMPLY AN ISSUE. I have the Bold 9700 and it seems to have an effect of the speed of the 3G connection, which means my BlackBerry is not working at its proper potential!

RIM techs PLEASE FIX THIS! Smiley Happy

Pin: [removed personal information]

EDIT: Private Information removed

Retired
My Device: 9500, 8110, 8700, 8220, 9100, 9800, 9810, Z10

Are you still seeing this issue with the new .57 version of BBM?

If you do not have the new version you can get it using your BlackBerry browser www.blackberry.com/messenger

-SR

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Visitor
My Device: Bold 9700

Same! I just got a 9700 and updated the BBM to the latest version. The status does not update, and it's so infuriating.

My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Sprint

I have a Tour 9630 and I have asked friends of mine with the same device and 100+ contacts.  We are all experiencing the same problem, and yes we are running on .57

Visitor
My Device: Bold 9700

I found the same problem today.  When i go over 100 contacts my status updates stops working.

There should be no limit in the number of contacts, maybe they should put a timer so your status is only updated 3 minutes after you change it in your phone.  I see a lot of people that changes status a few times within a minute and that's just too much.

This "should" be a simple fix and i think is a bug, i don't think it was done on purpose otherwise they will not let you update your status when you are over 100 contacts and that would be it.

Visitor
My Device: blackberry bold 9000
My Carrier: globe

is there any solution to this problem? i have friend with 189 contacts but no problem with updating status message

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Same here, I have just reinstalled OS, and now not restoring my contacts, it's stuck at 'checking email status' with no activity at all in the GPRS, none what so ever.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

it is now fixed, server issue I believe, why do we pay for BIS when the service regularly goes down,not just BBM but facebook also with the photo service?

Forums Advisor II
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon
My Carrier: Verizon

When there was the system wide issue identified to be a BBM issue anyone who contacted their service provider would have been credited for the down time.  You pay, yes but you can get the credit.  They do not to my knowledge automatically apply credits to accounts.

I called Verizon during the last system failure and they applied the credit to my account.

Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS 5.0.0.1015 My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!