Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Fido
Accepted Solution

BBM Contacts can't upload becuase of BBID

Hi All,

I am not sure why I cannot get my BBM contacts. I have a new 9900. I tried to use the same back up file as always, but it will not work.

It states"you can't use this backup file becuase BBM is already associated with your blackberry ID $%#%$^#@$$#$

Then I am promted to cotinue and my BBM contact list is nothing. I have 180 contacts. But none can be brought over. I created new BB ID'd no luck. The contacts are on my mac just sitting there. 

I need the contacts and if I cannot get them, I do not see the point of using a blackberry, even though I have for about 8 years. During those years my contacts have come from around the world. To lose all that and start over makes no sense. And I assume I will not continue using BBM and the rest may follow.

Truely disapointed

Any help would be appreciated!

Bold 9790 Bold 9900 Playbook 16GB
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: BBM Contacts can't upload becuase of BBID

I have found the troubleshooting guide published by RIM about lost contacts in BBM7 :

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Downloaded-applications-for/New-BBM-7-Update-Now-Available-Ge...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Thank you I will check it out and leave and update my progress.

New Contributor

So I checked out the link. Unfortunetly, part four is the option I can do. But once I restore the data is says " it cannot use the bbm contacts as my BBIM has its own BBM contacts". And the BBID contact list is empty.

Somehow I have to get my old contacts into the BBID, or create a new BBID and get the old contacts in. But I tried creating a new BBID. And the same thing happened upon restore.

Guru I

downgrade to BBM6 (
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Downloaded-applications-for/HOWTO-install-BBm-6-2-if-you-have... )
then log in BlackBerry ID in the device options, then open BBm.

You aim is, from BBM6, find a way that your contacts get stored inside your BBID.

Then when it's done, after upgrading to BBM7, BBM will restore your contacts through BBID.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Hi,

I am not sure of how to do that. I am using a 9900 running OS 7.

Is it possible to downgrade? And if so where can I get it? Everywhere I try sends me to BBM 7

Thanks,

New Contributor

Ok, I have downloaded BBM 6,2 from the link and am going to try and restore my original contact list.

New Contributor

I have downgraded to BBM 6.2 and my contacts are all available now. Thanks for the link. Next I have to figure out how to upgrade to 7.0 with my contacts. I tried backing up the BBM contacts to the BBID email that was posing a problem for 7.0. But it removed my contacts again.

I will wait to use 7.0 as I am just happy to have all my contacts back again.

Thank you both for the help!

Highlighted
Guru I

lostcontact wrote:

I tried backing up the BBM contacts to the BBID email that was posing a problem for 7.0. But it removed my contacts again.

can you explain that sentence? I do not understand what you have done here.