Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Pelephone

BBM Voice

Hello Everyone,

Guys, this isn't funny anymore.

I'm a BB fan for years, and had no intent of migrating until a few minutes ago.

Very well done for incorporating voice in the BBM, but restricting it for WiFi only in the world of fast 3G and 4G networks, are you kidding me?

I think I'm not alone on this one. I know, carriers don't like the idea, but as market share of iOS and Android is so large, and they all have Vibers and Skypes etc. allowing the BBM Voice to use Cellular Data links will make no difference to anyone except the users.

BB, Please stay on our side, we want to continue using BB, we just need you guys to stand your ground and not sacrifice us.

With my deepest respects,

Roberto

Solutions: 6,350
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BBM Voice

It's WiFi only now. RIM hasn't said where they're headed with this.

So...

Anyway, just FYI: This is a user-to-user community support forum. We are not RIM employees, but volunteers who enjoy assisting other users. RIM personnel rarely comment on queries posted here.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Sorry, it seems there is no one to turn to anymore :-)

Hope RIM realizes reality and act on it.

Thanks!

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

I remember the time where Apple released an AppStore that only worked on WiFi... then a FaceTime that could only be used on WiFi too...

You as a BlackBerry owner know that things take time at RIM's. The paradox is that you were happy with your BlackBerry device until a NEW FEATURE arrived for free.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

For every one person who doesn't like the feature, there are 1000 who do.

Cheers. Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Solutions: 6,350
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Exactly.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

I like the feature, however it is useless. Thing is that BB users continuously miss features other platforms allow through apps. The Voice feature is most probably limited to WiFi not due to technical issues, as the Bold 9900 has data rates in 3G that very often outperform some WiFi links.

It is due to policy, and that is a cold shower to users. When I meant I was changing my mind about BB, the rational was that policies would not change in the BB 10, and therefore what use would it make to upgrade?

Let's define a milestone. Let's see ONE major VOIP over 3/4G app in the next BB 10 by March 31st 2013. That includes Viber, Skype, Oovoo etc. If non of these is available, there's your policy, and there goes my BB subscription.

Roberto

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

I do read your arguments. But do not over-interpret a current fact (= BBm Voice is currently available through WiFi) for eternity.

Apple also at first made the first version of the AppStore available on WiFi only.
same for Facetime.

So let's not jump to conclusion, and wait and see what happens after BB10 apps start being revealed.

I see two scenarios:
voIP continues to be available to developers (it is for the PlayBook)
a voice&video chat war starts with several competitor:
- Apple with FaceTime
-Microsoft with Skype
- RIM with BBm Voice/Video
- Google Android with Google Talk/Google Voice

Each competitors rendering their technology not usable by third parties (that means no more Skype for Android and iOS phones)

(and same for maps & search engine & ...)

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: