Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Vodacom

BBM WAS HACKED

Hi All

My Curve 8520, was recently Hacked.

Please can anyone shed some light on how this could have been done and what I need to do to protect myself from this.

Here are some details of what happened on the day I was hacked.

In the morning I received 2 BBM invites. I accepted these and immediately went to contacts and deleted them both and selected block contact / pin (which I always do when I get a random invite) so they can't invite me again.

Later that day my friend asks me why am I  fighting with him and why do I want to meet him face to face etc?

Making a long story short he basically said that I appeared twice on his BBM during the day. And started arguing with him.

He sent me the conversation that he had with this other "ME".

My entire BBM profile was a exact copy on his BBM.

I asked him if he could go into the profile to get the BBM pin of the duplicate BBM Contact. He said he tried but it said the contact is not available or unreachable or something along that line.

I told him to delete and block that contact.

I have no idea how this could have happened and would really like to get more info so I can protect my self and inform others.

Can someone assist?

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BBM WAS HACKED

That doesn't sound good!

Can I suggest you post this on the forum that is specific to Curve users, since it is not really a Java programming issue.  Forum here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Curve/bd-p/Curve

As a programmer, I have to say I am not aware of any way of doing this programatically,

Having said that, there are several aspects of your story that confuse me.  Here are some of them:

1) "I accepted these and immediately went to contacts and deleted them both and selected block contact / pin (which I always do when I get a random invite"

This seems an unusual process for a random invite.  Can I suggest next time you just ignore it immediately? 

2) Can you be sure the events that you describe are in fact related?  For example, how do you know that the hacking was not a result of someone who borrowed you phone at some point, or some application you are running on your phone? 

3) If it was a result of a BBM invite, then do you have the PIN numbers of the two people who contacted you in your Ignored Contact List? 

4) "My entire BBM profile was a exact copy on his BBM."

But later you indicate that your friend could not display the PIN number associated - so how do you know it was an exact copy?  Again with the contact ignored, your friend should be able to find out the PIN number - what was it? 

5) If the person who hacked your phone could do it to one of your friends, why have they not done it to all?

I appreciate this is a concern to you, but I would investigate the physical security of your phone as I think that is the more likely route towards this happening.  I also wonder whether your friend just saw a similar profile picture to yours and decided it was you....

More information on other similar 'hacking' available here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold/BBM-hacked/td-p/2076037

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Torch/bbm-hacking/td-p/2026947

http://forums.crackberry.com/native-blackberry-os-apps-f152/bbm-hacked-482758/

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Vodacom

thanks for the feedback i will move the chat.

here are some points that might clear up the confusion.

Having said that, there are several aspects of your story that confuse me.  Here are some of them:

1) "I accepted these and immediately went to contacts and deleted them both and selected block contact / pin (which I always do when I get a random invite"

This seems an unusual process for a random invite.  Can I suggest next time you just ignore it immediately? 

Ill do this going forward.

2) Can you be sure the events that you describe are in fact related?  For example, how do you know that the hacking was not a result of someone who borrowed you phone at some point, or some application you are running on your phone?  No one else uses my phone. I dont have many applications running, therefore these options are very limited in the chances of it being caused by them.

3) If it was a result of a BBM invite, then do you have the PIN numbers of the two people who contacted you in your Ignored Contact List?  Yes I have a list of Pins but I dont know who they are No Names are attached.

4) "My entire BBM profile was a exact copy on his BBM."

But later you indicate that your friend could not display the PIN number associated - so how do you know it was an exact copy? The entire Profile was a Copy (BBM Name and Profile Picture)  Again with the contact ignored, your friend should be able to find out the PIN number - what was it?  He could not remember the Pin and no names are attached to the ignored list.

5) If the person who hacked your phone could do it to one of your friends, why have they not done it to all?

I dont have a clue as to why only that one person.

I appreciate this is a concern to you, but I would investigate the physical security of your phone as I think that is the more likely route towards this happening.  I also wonder whether your friend just saw a similar profile picture to yours and decided it was you....

My profile picture and name is unique and I doubt he could have gotten it wrong as he sent the chat to me. he has never and would be making something up as a prank either.

Thanks for your assistance. But I have heard that there is software / a program out there that u only need a BBM Pin to clone or hack a BB. Judging by my experience im starting to believe the rumour.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

i'd say go to the police.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter