Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: Tim

BBM and email doesn't work without BIS

Hi all,

i have a Bold 9700 and curve 9380, and like all BB users without a BB 10 we have only few apps, and they doesn't work good (not like Android or iOS), so we are just "abbandoned" from blackberry... and if no BIS plane... we can't use BBM and email internal app.

Now BBM is for all, Android and iOS too... and they can use for free without a BIS plane, just using WIFI...they also can read email without a BIS plane... so since i don't have a BIS plane now, i can use half smartphone, and this half has low quality apps... and all my friends can use our native chat BBM... and all their apps and functions just with WIFI and i can't.

Any solution? i don't think this is correct, a smartphone require internet connection to works, and WIFI should works too, otherwise why i paied FULL price for a blackberry, if i must pay a BIS plane forever to use it? noone told me this when i bought my 2 phones, and Blackberry is the only big OS who pretend a BIS plane to give access...to the same app other phones can use for free ( BBM ). 

If Blackberry says a warn: ATTENTION: TO USE THE SMARTPHONE YOU MUST HAVE A BIS PLANE, NOT A WIFI CONNECTION ONLY i'm sure noone buy a blackberry, but atlist you will be CLEAR with all the buyers.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: BBM and email doesn't work without BIS

When you have BIS, you have certain advantages that others don't. Like did you know that you use about 1/3 the data of your iPhone and Android friends? If you all had the same amount of data to use each month, they'd probably both go over and you wouldn't. In some parts of the world, data is not cheap so this is a HUGE advantage. You probably also get your emails pushed to your phone quicker than they do. If you need to stay in touch, this speed can be very important.

If being tied to BIS is really a problem for you, bump up to a BB 10 phone that doesn't use BIS. You'll also see thousands of more apps because you'll be able to download Android apps to your phone as well as BlackBerry native apps.

Cheers.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: Tim

Re: BBM and email doesn't work without BIS

[ Edited ]

i use my home WIFI to connect, not my friend's connection. Anyway you saying i should buy a BB 10 couse i can't have a BIS in this moment... while all aother company have internet 100% free if they want to just use WIFI? this have no sense... if i can't pay BIS in this moment how can i buy another phone Smiley Happy and if i can buy another phone why should i buy another blackberry after this?and i don't think is fair i MUST pay a BIS plane after i already paied my phone, just to use it 100% like all other company allow. now the BBM apps is for Android and iOS too...and they can use for free (with noBIS plane)... but not me, i must pay a BIS plane to use my phone and the app.

Do you think is fair,after used blackberry for years, with not so many apps, just few incompletes... that i must change phone to have the good apps? and to not pay to use it 100%

I paid my bold 9700 like 500 euro, and my curve 9380 like 300 euro, but i didn't know i can use only half phone without a BIS plane,otherwise i surely bought an iphone or samsung with android, atlist i can chouse if pay a BIS plane or not, since i have an home connection and i don't use internet out of home all day Smiley Happy

PS: sorry for my english, i know isn't very good