Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Orange

BBM does not work

Hi,

I bought a curve 9300 so I could use BBM. I have an Orange pay as you go contract and I downloaded BBM onto the phone. When I try to send an invitation to friends it says pending all the time. We went to Orange but they said that it was nothing they could do. 

Please can anyone help. I am based in Spain and purchased the phone here, as I do not know whether this makes a difference?

A friend told me that you had to have a  contract for BBM to work? Is this true, as I bought the phone for my teenage son and we cannot manage his usage without a pay as you go.

Hope someone can help?

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BBM does not work

TraceyJS wrote:

A friend told me that you had to have a  contract for BBM to work? Is this true, as I bought the phone for my teenage son and we cannot manage his usage without a pay as you go.

You must have the BlackBerry Data Plan on your account. I don't know if Orange has that plan for PAYGO or not, but calling them to ask will certainly clear things up.

But yes, you must have that specific data plan.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code

Thanks for your reply. Orange have said that the Delfin plan is suitable for all smartphones and that it should work fine. Then directed us back to Blackberry.

TraceyJS wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Orange have said that the Delfin plan is suitable for all smartphones and that it should work fine. Then directed us back to Blackberry.

You're welcome.

And they directed you to BlackBerry for what purpose?

Orange sells that plan, BlackBerry does not. You subscribe through Orange, you pay Orange.

This is a user-to-user community support forum. We are not RIM employees, but volunteers who enjoy assisting other users. RIM personnel rarely comment on queries posted here. 

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates

Not sure why they told us that it can be difficult sometimes due to their lack of English and our lack of Spanish!

The lady just told us that the plan he has should allow the BBM to work. Could it be that we have not activated something correctly via 'Blackberry'?

I apologise but I do not know who RIM are that you are referring to.
Once again thank you for your time and advice.

RIM = Research in Motion = BlackBerry... all the same. One company.

It could be that you have not activated something IF Orange says you have the right plan already.

Do a simple reboot on the BlackBerry in this manner: With the BlackBerry device POWERED ON, remove the battery for a minute, and then reinsert the battery to reboot.

1) Register HRT: (OS5) Home Screen > Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > Scroll to any line entry and > press the Menu key > and then click Register Now. If you have an OS 6 or OS 7 device, Look at Options > Device > Advanced > Host Routing Table, etc.

2) Resend Service Books: Article ID: KB02830 How to send the service books for a BlackBerry Internet Service account. http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02830

3) Then, with the BlackBerry device POWERED ON, remove the battery for a minute, and then reinsert the battery to reboot. A reboot in this manner is prescribed for most glitches and operating system errors, and you will lose no data on the device doing this.

Knowledge Base Updates