Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry torch
My Carrier: Etisalatuae

Re: BBM not working on wifi

I have the same issue. I have bb service from Etisalat UAE, when I am travelling outside, I usually can still connect to bbm (pin messages) and push emails, in countries where no bb services, through WiFi, but sometimes it does not work. After many frustration to find the reason, I could not. As, if I do not shut down (hard reboot or remove battery or sim), I still can connect to bum services (bb icon appear in network icons area). Now, I just realized that if I reboot, or remove battery or sim, and return to the roaming gsm operator (with no bb services), and wifi Internet, I cannot restore the bum services through wifi. Correct me if I am wrong, but my analysis, is that, as long as I was initially connected to my bbm services through the network (not wifi), the system keep some type of connectivity protocol working, then even if I travel outside the bb network services with the sim in the device, I can still connect to the bbm through the wifi. Once the mobile is hard rebooted, this protocol shut down, and it cannot restarted without the verification of the bb network (through bb services available in the operator coverage). Pls advice if this is a valid analysis, or suggest how to re-start the bb services (pin messages and push mail) through wifi without the availability of the bb services from the gsm operator.
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Im actually having the same problem as u. Have you got that sorted yet?

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: MTS

Yes, I actually got it sorted out. It doesn't work consistently, but it worked a few times.

What I had to do was turn on the wireless network with data set to  "on" not "prompt". In my case, it still wouldn't even connect under those circumstances. Then, I did a battery pull, and when the phone came back on it would be connected to data and the wireless network via roaming *which will cost you $$*. I quickly went to the settings, and turned off the wireless network, but left the wifi on.

It would then be connected. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it right, and it did not work consistently for me. I also found that if I turned my phone off once connected, it would lose the connectivity and I would have to re-do the method all over again.

I never had this problem with my Curve2 last year. I didn't think it would be so complicated with the Torch.

Contributor

I actually do not have roaming agreements where i am. I was using it on wifi and have now lost all my HRT Smiley Sad

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Telus

I might be out of date on my technical data, but would this issue not be to do with service books.  When you had your old sim card that was supported on the phone, you had the service books from that service provider that your phone used to access the network.  When you put in a new sim card, it replaced the service books with those from your new service provider, however that service provider doesn't support BB service, or perhaps just doesn't support your particular device.  If this is the case, it may also affect your device connecting via WIFI to BIS services.

My knowledge is more from BB 5.0 on my old storm, so I may be out of date on the wifi issues.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: MTS

I should clarify. When I got mine to work again, I re-inserted my original SIM card.

Contributor

I want to try this. Borrow a SIM card from someone here who has BB services.......put it in my BB and see if i can download the HRT and Service Books. Then put my own SIM card back in.

How will i and the person who lends me their SIM card be affected. I think we both have BIS on BES.