Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 9780
My Carrier: OmanTel

BES - Outlook - Exchange - Email | Download

Hello everyone,

This is what I am trying to get to: download my office email via my BB (connected with BES) to my office laptop that is Outlook 2007.

Is this even possible? I imagine yes cause what I am thinking is whatever my BB gets in terms of email should be "automatically" moved/synced to Outlook.

Any help? Smiley Happy

--Sadiq 

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

Re: BES - Outlook - Exchange - Email | Download

I'm a little lost what you are asking?

If your Blackberry is activated on your works BES server then the inbox on your blackberry should match what is in your Outlook inbox. If it does not then you should speak to your BES Admin/IT Helpdesk. 

New Contributor

I am trying to get my BB to be the connection to my work email since the BB is connected to BES and download all the new emails.

I hope this makes more sense.
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

So you want to use your blackberry as a modem with your laptop to allow you to access your emails via Outlook on the laptop remotely?

This would be something you need to discuss with your IT department - when you tether your phone as a modem it uses your carriers network rather than the BES connection, so you will more than likely need a VPN connection from your laptop to work. 

New Contributor

Oh. I thought there would be a way around it with some sort of sync setting or something.

Anyways, thanks for responding. I'll check with our IT although I have my doubts.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

Hello,

There should be no need to use your BB as an intermediary between your laptop and your email system. BES is dedicated to serving the BBs and is not designed to do anything more. But, depending on your corporate email setup, they may well have something to allow your laptop to access your email system directly. BES sits as an intermediary between your corporate email system and the corporate supported BBs. But, your laptop should be able to get to the corporate email system directly, not needing the intermediary. If your company has implemented Exchange, then there are a series of different things that they could have also implemented to allow your laptop/Outlook to directly connect to the email system, not needing an intermediary.

You definitely need to talk to your internal IT folks...but don't ask them how to do what you started this thread with...that's not an applicable solution. Rather, leave your BB out of the discussion, and ask them how to connect your laptop Outlook to the email system.

Now, if your laptop has no internet access, then the BB could function as a modem for your laptop, but BES would still not be involved; the connection, as far as the laptop/Outlook is concerned, would remain "direct" between the laptop and the email system...the BB simply would be functioning as a modem. Modem use of a BB is dependent on a great many things, not the least of which would be your mobile service provider even allowing such functions:

• KB05178 Support for tethered modem use

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Many thanks sdgardne for the detailed answer. I know that my company doesn't allow any access to the email system outside of the office network. Even through a VPN! Hence, my attempt to get email on to my laptop via BB.

Thanks again. Much appreciated
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Ahhh...that is helpful indeed! If they do not allow external access to email other than via the BBs, then even attempting what you suggest would be a violation of company policy, would it not?

But...what, then, is your actual goal? If it is, for instance, to have a larger interface (screen, keyboard) with which to use your BB-housed email, then here's another idea...a BlackBerry PlayBook. The PB and the BB can connect via BlueTooth using the BlackBerry Bridge. Via that bridge, the PlayBook can "run" the email that is physically housed on the BB itself, but you have the larger PB screen and virtual keyboard to work with. In bridged mode, none of the email is actually stored on the PB itself...the PB is just functioning as an interface to the BB, so I don't think that this would be in violation of your company policies.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
New Contributor

Don't think the whole thing is worth me getting a PB!