Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: Digicel

BIS GMail Bug!

Like many people I had a problem (recent) adding my gmail account to my Blackberry.

When setting it up on the BB the error message pop-up was "Update Failed" after entering my username and password.

When trying to set it up via the Digicel BIS I got an invalid username/password error.

I tried the CAPTCHA workaround, to no avail.

I tried disabling Advanced IMAP in my GMail account, still no progress.

I tried adding a different GMail account that I used to administer a club website and that worked flawlessly!

So, something specific about my own GMail account.

After much trial and error I tried entering my GMail account without the "." that separates my first and last name.  And voila!  It lets me in.

However there are still issues.  It won't find my Google Calendar since that seems to insist on identifying itself with the "." in the email address, and likewise it can't sync my Contacts.

So there is clearly a BIS/GMAIL bug handling a "." in an email address (before the @gmail.com of course!)

So who do we yell at to get that fixed?  It's a stupid bug that was introduced recently as I had previously used my GMail account (period and all) on the same Blackberry and it worked fine.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG853), Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BIS GMail Bug!

mikeszeller wrote:

So who do we yell at to get that fixed? 

Since your post basically boils down to this question, here's the answer. All formal support for BB's is provided by the carriers and authorized resellers. Therefore, that would be the proper channel for pursuing your chosen course of action (though I can only wonder how they will take to getting yelled at).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................