Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BIS email very slow in mornings?

[ Edited ]

I have two BIS email accounts set up on my Blackberry - been working perfectly for months, and I've not changed anything recently.

Yesterday morning when I switched the device on, I didn't receive any emails for over two hours, despite there being at least 20 on my ISP's POP3 account.  Then just before 9:00am, they were all received by the device.  Today the same happened again - no emails for ages, then suddenly they were all received.  I have a good GPRS signal, haven't changed any settings since it was working - and after about 9:00am, it seems to work well all day again.

I'm on O2, in the UK.   Edit:  O2's technical support line just told me that the problem might be that BIS email is copied across manually, so it might not get done until someone comes in at 9:00am - which gives you some idea what O2's customer service is like that someone might actually think that.

Anyone else having problems? 

Message Edited by mandrake on 11-12-2008 10:27 AM
Message Edited by mandrake on 11-12-2008 11:21 AM
Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Re: BIS email very slow in mornings?

may be there are issues with BIS, you probabaly wanna a give it  a day or 2 and see if it resolves.
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
New Contributor

YES!!

I have the exact same problem with BIS being very slow to retrieve mail in the mornings.

I set my Blackberry to automatically "shut off" at 11 pm. 

At 4:30 am it automatically turns on.

The last three days I have had delays ranging from 30 minutes to two hours before any of my email would download.

I'm using a Blackberry Bold on AT&T with integration to Google Apps For Domain.

PS - I've previously used this setup extensively on a Blackberry 8320 without a hitch so I'm very familiar with normal operations -- and this definitely is NOT it.

During the daytime everything seems to flow normally, though I do see the odd email or two that comes in very delayed.

Furthermore, in the morning my name@att.blackberry.net account will send/receive no problem or delay.

My GMAIL based account will send no problem -- it is the receiving that is delayed.

I've tried:

1. Battery Pull (no luck)

2. Re-send service books - this doesn't result in immediate email recovery though I have seen the activation email come through with one stray GMAIL -- then nothing for about an hour until suddenly BIS opens up and my GMAIL comes down in one big bunch.

Wayne Schulz

http://www.s-consult.com

New Contributor

Sounds exactly the same.  I have a friend here in the UK who also had the same problem the last 2 days (on a different mobile network from me).  

I rang O2 (my mobile network) to request support - they were so funny.  First the guy said he hadn't been trained on Blackberry, and there was no-one there who had.  Then he said he though the emails might be copied across manually, so that's why I don't get them until 9:00am (couldn't help but laugh when he said that).  Then, just for good measure, they changed my account password, to see if that helped (despite the fact that I'd told them it works perfectly for the other 22 hours a day, before and after the early-morning window).  Sigh.

Anyway, my only workaround for this is to leave the handset on - it's on silent most of the time anyway, so leaving it on overnight isn't a problem, then at least I've got some email in the morning, if not the stuff sent between 7-9.  It's not good though - but good to know I'm not the only one with the problem.

Sounds like it could just be the BIS servers getting overloaded in the mornings when everyone switches on? 

New Contributor

Since we are all likely on different time zones -- I am thinking the "bug" may be in the waking from "Auto Off" settings.

I don't notice problems any other time of the day. I set my BB to turn off at 11 and on at 4:30am

When I wake I find all messages up to 11 pm were received but upon auto-on there is nothing that is received that was sent overnight.

It takes a period of a couple hours to re-establish the connection (though today it seemed to do so within 30 minutes of re-sending the service book).

I'm not able to tell whether passage of time or re-sending the service book is the cure.

New Contributor

"Since we are all likely on different time zones -- I am thinking the "bug" may be in the waking from "Auto Off" settings."

Sure - just to clarify, my device doesn't use auto on/off - I'm switching it off and on manually.  But apart from that, the same may apply - as you say, it's taking a long time to 'connect' or whatever when I switch it on.  Everything else works fine in the meantime - web browsing, etc, so it's not the whole GPRS connection or anything - just BIS email.  

New Contributor

Same symptoms here -- all other aspects of the BlackBerry work fine - can get data, can see the blackberry.net emails (and receive them) -- it's the GMAIL BIS that I've set up which takes forever to re-connect and gather information.

Could there be some new BIS behind the scenes that tells the RIM servers to stop polling emails while the device is turned off? 

Either that or it's a bug.

I'm on Bold with OS 4.6.0.167 via ATT in USA

New Contributor

I'm on Curve 8310, v4.2.2.181 (Platform 2.5.0.35), on O2 in the UK.
New Contributor
My Device: 9630 Tour
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

For the last three days my Blackberry email service seems to have stopped each evening around Midnight and not come back on until between 8 and 10 AM the next morning [Eastern Standard Time]. I called VerizonWireless this morning and was told that there is some problem with the service and that Blackberry is 'working on it' with no date for a fix.

One would think that Blackberry would at least post a notice to its users as to the problem and estimated timing for its resolution; so we don't spent lots of quality time on the phone trying to resolve issues we have no control over.