Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BIS - unable to send or receive e-mail

i just signed up for BIS from Fido on my unlocked 8900 and it isn't working i see edge in lower case. I was told i need to contact RIM to find out why as it "should just work".
Super Contributor
My Device: 7230,7290,8100,8300,8700,9000

Re: BIS - unable to send or receive e-mail

Hi arrago,

Your first point of contact should be your carrier.  If you are getting lower case edge means you are in a data network area but you phone is unable to register to it.

First thing you can do is reset your BB by removing the battery while you BB is still turned on and re-insert the battery.  if you still have problem, call your carrier to confirm you have the correct blackberry data plan with your cell phone number.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If someone give you helpful hints, please click on Kudos.
If you issue is resolved, mark Accept Solution next to the resolution post.
Feel free to search www.blackberry.com/btsc to find your answers.
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've done that they have confirmed the imei and pin are valid and they say I must have a phone configuration issue as all the tests and settings they checked on their end are correct and there is no reason why I shouldn't get BIS.

Someone recomended to me, to try a wipe that it may fix my issue; I do not want to touch it as  I have no idea what it'll do to it and wasn't told to do this from a carrior. My Carrior pretty much has told me there is no more they can do as they exausted all their internal resources for a unlocked phone and I must contact RIM if I now want it fixed.

When I contacted RIM to inquire I was told even if I payed them $55 there are no guarantees they can fix my phone issue. TBH I am very disapointed at RIM since as a new customer I couldn't get a level of support from my carrior nor would RIM step in and correct this injustice of quality of service they provided via carrior training. This will probably be my 1st and last Blackberry. I should of taken the advice of my IT colleagues and avoid the Blackberry all together as it was just wasted time and money wasted.

To add to what my carrior has done, They have removed my data plan for the balckberry and added it back, checked for any blocks on the sim, and tried to send me new service books. All of this left my edge icon uneffected and in lower case.

Edit: tride the wipe since i had nothing to loose at this point edge is still in lower case i'm told since it's a t-mobile unlocked phone it could be possible the phone is still registered to the carrior (from a friend), since i called t-mobile already also and was told they can't help me since the phone was brand new...

what can I do? 

Message Edited by arrago on 05-29-2009 04:32 AM
Highlighted
Contributor

Registration to another network carrier will not affect your data connection or the ability to access the internet unless it was previously registered through BES rather than BIS.

Have you checked that data is on by going to manage connections>data on?

If it is on, then you've really exhaused all checks because a wipe should have really resolved it. What I'd do if I was you is get in touch with your friend and try their sim in your handset, if it works then it possibly could be an issue with it being a t-mobile device however I really doubt it, its more likely to do with your carrier, however if it doesn't work then you have a faulty handset.

New Contributor

yes the data is on, and i don't have access to anyone else with a bis account on this carrior. Most people i know moved to the Bell blackbarries. I tried a sim taht didn't have a BB plan on it and edge was still in lower case if that helps.
Super Contributor

Hi arrago,

There are only a few possibilities left in your case.

1. You have a faulty sim or Blackberry.  To test this, simply put a working Blackberry SIM (from colleague, friends, or local dealer) in to your Blackberry and see if you BB now picks up EDGE.  If it works, therefore you have issue with your own SIM, go to a local dealer to swap to a new SIM. If not, issue with your BB, as simple as that.

I have seen cases once you put other working BB SIM in a BB, it strangely trigger the network connection, and might work if you reinsert your SIM.

2.  When you say your BB is unlock, did the carrier give you an unlock code?  Have you try to repeat the unlock process?  I know some carriers lock both voice and data, and some only lock down the data connection.  If you are confident that your handset is unlock, you can try to reload the original carrier's handheld software again, but please ensure you still have the unlock code, otherwise your BB maybe locked again afterwards.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Contributor

no i had it unlocked by someone for me i can make calls on it with a non t-mobile sim
New Contributor

should i try to flash it?, will this void the warrenty

also if so how would i proceed i prefer to have detailed steps...

Super Contributor

Hi arrago,

Any chance you can try my #1 suggestion to test another working BB sim in your phone to narrow down the issue.

Reloading handheld software will not void your warranty (unless the unauthorised unlock voided it), but my concern is you handset will become locked again.

New Contributor

i'm going to be trying a different sim hopefully sometime today