Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BOLD 9900
My Carrier: ORANGE

BOLD 9900 POOR SIGNAL

I have owned my Bold 9900 for a couple of weeks. My first smartphone . Phone reception in my house has never been great, but the Bold definitely performs worse on signal strength than my old ordinary rubbish LG. The Bold never rises above 2 bars, frequently drops out of signal completely (red SOS symbol) and gives me no signal at all in a couple of spots in the house where the old phone would at least give me one bar.

Similarly, the Bold often drops out of my home wi-fi for no reason.

Thing is, my husband has a Torch 9800, and this consistenly shows much better mobile and wi-fi connection than my Bold :-( . Even whilst sitting 2 feet away from each other.

I've never quite understood the mobile connection names that come up in the top RH corner of my Bold, but they seem to mainly switching, almost on a minute by minute basis, between EDGE and GPRS. Husband's Torch and his better signal seems to be continuously on UMA.....  I thought somehow this has do with signal booster? And how can I improve my Bold signal to show UMA?

I LOVE the Bold, and also want to start LIKING it if the signal can be improved.......

Thank you for your input. Any answers need to be in middle-age-friendly, girly semi-technophobe language :-)

My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: BT Vodaphone

Re: BOLD 9900 POOR SIGNAL

Just want to say that i also have this issue with BT Vodaphone, my wife is on the same provider and she has good signal where as my Bold 9900 will jump from 3, to 2, to 1 bar randomly even when sat next to my wifes phone and not moving them.  she has a Samsung but i know when i had the Torch previously i had no signal issues.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

I have this same issue on three bold 9900.

The signal when lying on the table is fine, but as soon as you pick up the phone the signal starts to drop and can cut out completely on a random basis.

The diagnostic can show a drop in signal strength to -101dbm - This is probably just about OK when you have 5 bars, but if you have a lower or marginal signal then it's game over.

Poor show from RIM, this is the same on three phones, two purchased in the UK, and one in Singapore.

Warranty repairs say no fault found.

Come on RIM give us a fix!!!!!

New Contributor
My Carrier: voda

same here... any fix?

New Contributor

'fraid not.....still have the same erratic signal at home,  but because the signal performs well pretty much everywhere else, I've learnt to put up with it..... Still really like the phone, though..... Sorry can't give you a more satisfactory reply.  Good luck! 

New Contributor
My Carrier: Rogers

See my post here (3rd post down) for how I was able to fix this:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold/Bold-9900-weak-Wifi-signal/td-p/1775759

New Contributor

thanks Boosty, not sure I'm brave enough to attempt it. Will mention it to husband though; if it goes wrong, I can blame him! :-)  

New Contributor
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

I watched this video on how to do it before I did it and it wasn't too bad. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTnyI7yDRDM

I did not pop the keyboard ribbon off or remove the display as in the video. I just removed the 6 screws as shown in the video and took the back cover off.  The back cover is where that antenna sticker is and just remember to tell hubby to be gentle when peeling the antenna sticker off.