Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch
My Carrier: Vodafone

BT Home Hub Router Wifi Problems

[ Edited ]

hey all.. newbie here

having a bit of an issue with my torch, basically i connect to wifi at home (bt home hub 2.0) and although the BB recognises the wifi connection i get an error message saying failed to retireve IP address, and it also locks out any other devices that are connected to the router(laptop/iphone/bold 9700)

if i leave the wifi turned off on my torch everything works fine but as soon as its turned on then everything else goes off, gettin really frustrated by this, ive had technical support from vodafone who have said they think its an issue with the hub\router so i called BT and spent approx 2 hours on the phone and they state everything is fine on their side and they feel its an issue with blackberry (i can see logic behind this as everything else works fine when the bb is off)

i have to keep resetting the router in order for it to work with the other devices,  including a hard reset aswell.....

i have read post on other forums (crackberry) with people having similar issues but cant really find a fix without having to go out and purchase a new router (which is a bit of a gamble)  can anybody help me? or has anyone else had this problem?

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=5493250#post5493250

http://forums.crackberry.com/f143/d-link-router-reboots-randomly-constantly-when-bb-connects-512888/...

all help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Zahid

Developer
My Device: 9800 Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: BT Home Hub Router Wifi Problems

Was there any permission settings when setting up your router? Did you add your device to the routers software/program?  I know some routers require you to add each device to their setup, such as another computer, game console etc....

If my posts have helped you please click the star for kudos ~ty
Interested in girly themes?
Follow the link below:
http://shellbellthemes.ucoz.com
New Contributor

my phone has been added to the router, used the correct passkeys, granted permissions but still no joy....

I can connect to other routers no problem but when ever i try  BT home hub ( tried at 2 friends houses) or a BT WIFI HOT SPOT i just cant connect,,,

anybody else had any issues with the BT HOME HUB?

New Contributor

ive had a new replacement torch delivered today but still the same problem.. any ideas?

Visitor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Orange UK

Hi there - never posted on any websites at all before but I had to today because I had exactly the same issue as you and googled it to death with no solution.
Randomly tried changing my Home Hub encryption from WPA to WEP  (128bit) and it's working great!
Really hope this sorts out your problem too.
xxx

My Device: Not Specified

Hi, had the same issue seems to be related to the wifi 'n' connection type, turn the router down to only allow b & g and the problem will vanish. Not ideal but if you don't need the 'n' speed then it shouldnt be noticable.

Regards

Clive

Visitor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Orange

I had exactly this issue too. The BT Home Hub 2 would allow the Blackberry to connect - and then after a few minutes of use the wireless connection from the BT Home Hub would be unavailble to ALL wireless devices, until the Hub was restarted.

The Blackberry would get a 'failed to obtain IP address' or 'failed to associate' or would simply not show the wireless connection at all.

Since I took the advice to go into the Home Hub settings, and drop the connection speed down to 802.11b/g rather than the default 802.11b/g/n it has been rock solid.

This drops the wireless speed down from around 100MBs to 54MBs - the difference is virtually undetecatable on laptops and games consoles, even when streaming video/iPlayer content.

To make this change in the BT Home Hub, login to http://192.168.1.254 (the IP of your hub) and click on Settings - then Advanced Settings - then Wireless then onto 'Wireless interface type' - set this to 802.11 b/g and click Apply. This will require the admin password to make the changes.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 3G (9300)
My Carrier: Orange

Proves that these forums are a valuable source of advice. i have had my BB 9300 for two weeks and could not stream video over the BT Home Hub. Changing the settings as described above has sorted this, thank you very much. Man Happy

My Device: Not Specified

The fix which worked for me, and still allows WPA and wireless N, was to get BT to send me a type A router. This seems to work fine. Have torch, Win XP laptop and vista desktop over wlan and printer, NAS disk physically connected and all is OK. With type B router (the one originally sent) I got 2 days of it all working fine, then thereafter whenever I activated the torch WiFi I'd get 30 mins tops before the router got itself into a state as described above.

Possibly co-incidentally, the 2 days of perfect working order on the type B router corresponded with the time before those extra 'virtual' SSIDs appeared. I didn't investigate this any further as BT sent me the new router basically as soon as I'd contacted them, but it could be worth looking into if you're worried about WEP or G only.

sbrk()
New Contributor
My Device: AT&T Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone India