Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Backing up and restoring app data of an App World (BlackBerry World) app

I'd like to do a security wipe on my old Bold 9700 and then reinstall/restore an App World (BlackBerry World) app that I purchased with the same BlackBerry ID.

1. Can I reinstall an app via App World after a security wipe?

2. WIll the app data (e.g. game scores) be restored?

3. I did a full back up with BDS7, if reinstalling the app on a security wiped phone does not reinstate the app data, can I retrieve the app data by restoring the app from the backup?

4. What about copying the .rem files of the App World folder of the app to my computer, reinstalling the app via App World and then copying the .rem files back to the Blackberry? Or is there another location I should look for the app data?

Thank you in advance.

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Backing up and restoring app data of an App World (BlackBerry World) app

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

To re-install your apps, please see this KB:

• KB17625 How to install or transfer previously purchased applications from BlackBerry App World to a BlackBerry smartphone

HandsomeP wrote:

2. WIll the app data (e.g. game scores) be restored?

That I'm not sure of...it likely depends on how the scores are stored. If they are stored on the device, then it might be able to re-obtain that information after you reinstall the app. Likewise, if they are stored on some server somewhere, it might be able to do so. But there's really no way for anyone but the app developer to know for sure. If I were you, I'd prepare myself for those being lost as a result of this activity.

HandsomeP wrote:

3. I did a full back up with BDS7, if reinstalling the app on a security wiped phone does not reinstate the app data, can I retrieve the app data by restoring the app from the backup?

Maybe -- again, it depends on how the app works, which only the app developer can say. Some apps store data in AppMemory (which is what gets backed up), others store their data in Device or Media Card Memory (which is not necessarily backed up). And it may well be moot anyway, depending on how the developer coded the app.

HandsomeP wrote:

4. What about copying the .rem files of the App World folder of the app to my computer, reinstalling the app via App World and then copying the .rem files back to the Blackberry? Or is there another location I should look for the app data?

Same issue...it all depends on how the developer coded the app. If the coded it to ignore any stored data anywhere each time the app is installed, then you can't force it to read anything, regardless of where you might restore it to. But, again, only the developer of the app can tell you what will happen in these circumstances.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................