Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Backing up blackberry.net email?

Hi,

Does performing a total back-up through BB device manager backup your "blackberry.net" emails?  I'm considering deleting my old "blackberry.net" emails but want to make sure they are backed up someplace, if I need them for reference?  I am not using BES, this is strictly a personal phone.

Thanks!

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Backing up blackberry.net email?

If you install the Desktop Manager onto your computer, just go into Backup and Restore, and hit Backup. This will perform a full backup of all the data on a BlackBerry
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Contributor

Thanks!

Contributor

Ooops, one more question!

Is it possible for me to view this information on my computer?  When I try to open the backup (.ipd) file I have created, I get a message saying Windows doesn't know how to open the file.  Is there a way for me to look at the backed up data on my computer prior to restoring it on my BB?

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

That file can only be read by the Desktop Software. You can try this program (30 day free trial) to read them http://www.processtext.com/abcblackberry.html
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Super Contributor
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

No, and like a typical Network Engineer, they answered your question about Backing Up, but will then look at you like you're nuts when you want to restore and say, "Well you asked for backup software.  You never said anything about restoring!"  DWEEBS

First, you can't do anything with the backup!  Yes, you can restore it to your BlackBerry - but the process of restoring the old email will wipe all the email currently on your device!  Yea, you can back up what's there now, then restore the old stuff, but you'll never get it all in one place!

Oh yea, and in case no one mentioned this to you, there is no Spam filtering on your blackberry.net email whatsoever!  Should you start getting Spam at that email address, the only way to manage it is to "white list" people you know and block everyone else.  Of course, that means that you won't be able to receive any email from someone you haven't added to your white list!

Do yourself a favor.  Get a Yahoo or Gmail account.  Both of these are free, have excelent Spam filtering,  If you set up Gmail using IMAP instead of POP, you'll get Read reconciliation.  If you pay $25 for a Yahoo! Mail Plus account, you'll get nearly instantaneous delivery and Read reconciliation.

And you'll have enough storage to not have to worry about backing up!

Jerry
Contributor

Hm...thanks, I think.  I only use my blackberry email for personal correspondence, only about 10 ppl have the address.  I already have gmail, and get instaneous push on my device from that address, so no need for Yahoo Plus.  I understand what you mean about backup vs restore...thanks for clarifying.  And thanks for the tip about imap vs pop...I'll need to check my settings, though I use t-bird so the reconciliation is already flaky.

cheers!

Highlighted
New Contributor

Another useful tip could be if you need your own domain email address(you@yourdomain.com) with IMAP that works with push for free, is to try the Google apps standard edition, it's basically free but shows ads while using online, but wouldn't matter if the email is being read on blackberry using the Google Mail app.