Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

mpg
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Telus

Backup Location Not saved

Hi,

Running Desktop 7.1.0.32.

Desktop doesn't save change in backup location.

I have tried the following:

1) Changed the backup location under device options

2) Changed the backup location under desktop options

3) Changed the backup location via the registry.

Everytime I restart the desktop it returns to the default location.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Greg

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Backup Location Not saved

[ Edited ]

Hi there!

I can replicate this...that is a problem indeed! As a work around, I discovered that if you make the target folder change "on the fly" as you actually execute a backup, then the change is retained for future use. But, as you say, via any other means (though I decided not to edit my registry!!), the change is not saved between Desktop Software sessions.

I also discovered that, after you make the change in via 1 or 2 in your methods, then actually take a backup before shutting Desktop Software down, then the configuration change is likewise retained.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
mpg
Contributor

Thanks for the very quick response.

I'm not sure what you mean by making a folder change "on the fly".  When I click the Backup menu option, or the back up now button, I am not prompted for a location.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hmmm...let me get some screen shots for you.

In the meantime, if you make the change via Device Options, and then actually take a backup, is the configuration change then saved through shutting down and restarting the Desktop Software? It was for me...

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Hall of Famer III

Oh...I bet I know what happened...see this:

Back Up Options 8282012 110519 AM.jpg

At some point, you must have checked that bottom box that I circled, which prevents this dialog from appearing again. Hence, you need to do as I earlier recommended...make the change in Device Properties and take a backup, both within the same Desktop Software session...then the setting should be preserved the next time you launch the Desktop Software.

Good luck!

mpg
Contributor

Hi,

I don't have the options you are showing:

I don't know how to show a screen shot.  Under Device Options, I have the option to change the save backup file to: and I can encrypt the backup file.  That's it for options. Smiley Sad

I'm on WinXp.  Does that matter?

Hall of Famer III

That screenshot I gave you is what you would see when you actually run a backup, but only if you have NOT previously checked that last box I circled. My guess is that, sometime in the past, you did check that box, which is why you no longer see this popup.

Hence, as I said, please proceed with, during the same Desktop Software session, changing the backup location via the Device Options screen (as you said you had already been able to do), and then actually take a backup of your BB before you shut down the Desktop Software. From my tests, this should then actually save the change of backup file target location to your next session with the Desktop Software, which will get your immediate situation resolved.

Note that what I'm proposing is merely a workaround for your immediate situation -- nothing I can do will actually change how the Desktop Software seems to work...this seems to be a deficiency in the software itself that RIM would have to correct. My intent here is just to get you going again and past the issue as it presents at this moment.

Good luck!

mpg
Contributor

Understood.  Thanks for all of your help.

Here's hoping RIM can change it soon.

Greg

mpg
Contributor

Found the solution on another forum:

I think i found where you can change it!!

It's located in
<Windows_Drive>:\Users\<User_Name>\AppData\Roaming \Research In Motion\BlackBerry Desktop

In this folder there is a file called Settings.config .. Search for this string BackupFolderLocation. Change the value to whatever you want!!