Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodacom

Backup Restore Problems

I just lost my Blackberry Torch 9800, so I got a new one, hoping I copied my backups from my old laptop, i started a restore, but unfortunately I never copied the .ipd files from my last laptop. Got hold of my old laptops new owner & he says he already reloaded windows 7 on it. Ran backup recovery software & got back the last backup, but to my dismay, I copied the files to my pc, but when I try to restore the backup, it gives me an error "there was an error, . . . verify that the device is turned on & connected". I have the .ipd file from my old pc, but cant seem to get my restore to work. PLEASE HELP ! ! ! I lost about 1200 contact & really need them back. Next time I really need to remember to back up more often. Smiley Sad

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Backup Restore Problems

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

With this new device, is it able to communicate with the Desktop Software at all? Does the software recognize the device when you launch and connect the BB? And this error only then pops up when you attempt the restore? Please clarify as that message should indicate that there is no communication between your BB and the desktop software at all, regardless of attempting the restore or not.

Thanks.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................

Hi

Thank you for the quick reply. The new device communicates perfectly with the pc, it is only the old backup that does not want to do a restore, if I do a backup of the new device & then a restore, it works fine.

thanks

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

[ Edited ]

OK...the please post the full and complete syntax of the error message. Better still, you can search on it here:

Hopefully there is a KB that addresses it.

Please also make sure you are doing only a selective restore and not a full restore...perhaps there is something not compatible with one of the databases between the two devices. Restoring only those databases you need might work around it.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................

I have tried a selective restore as well, gives an error "loading of backup content failed". On a full restore, it picks up the .ipd file from the old pc backup, tells me that the current contents will be lost, then give the error "there was an error restoring. there could have been a problem with the device or connectionduring the restore. Verify that the device is turned on and connected."

Hall of Famer III

While perhaps not directly on point as per the error messages syntax, here are a few KBs that might be helpful:

• KB22410"Error Restoring Database(s)" appears when the Address Book database is restored from an IPD backup using BlackBerry Desktop Manager
  • KB10747Unable to restore a backup file to a replacement BlackBerry smartphone
  •  KB04461Unable to restore read only databases when using the Advanced Backup and Restore function of BlackBerry Desktop Manager

You might try restoring just single databases and see if any at all will restore.

Also -- is this new BB on BES? If so, there might be an IT Policy restricting the restore process. Or, if the replacement BB is refurbished, there could be a latent IT Policy on board that is restricting it.

Nope, still not working. gonna take the phone in to bb, & nope, not on bes. but I really do appreciate your effort & help.

Hall of Famer III

AhmedCajee wrote:

Nope, still not working. gonna take the phone in to bb, & nope, not on bes. but I really do appreciate your effort & help.

If you re-read what I said above, you'll discover that being on BES and having an IT Policy are not necessarily coincident...it has happened before that a warranty replacement was provided which was a refurbished unit where the IT Policy was not removed. It also happens quite a lot on the secondary market (e.g., eBay) where BBs are sold to unwitting buyers with latent IT Policies that restrict things from functioning. But, perhaps that is not your case...good luck!

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Hey AhmedCajee,
I have a solution for you !
The problem is the databases you've backed up.
I advice something different.
There's a programme called "ABC Amber BlackBerry Converter "
Just google and download it to your PC.( It could be trial but you can also crack it or buy it anyway )
Your PC must have Microsoft Outlook installed.
This programme can read your ipd files and lets you edit your contacts,mails, everything callled as ipd file and also can save your ipd file as html, excel, word, pdf, outlook formats..
What is my solution is after downloading it, open your ipd file..edit your address book, contacts ( if you want to ) then save it as outlook file.
So, you should see all of your contacts in your outlook in contacts section.
This is the first step.
The second step is, open your Desktop Manager and hit sync section..choose address book and set your sync as outlook then choose your sync type as two way synchronisation.Save this and go back to main.
Press sync all button and say yes everything if prompted.
Than your contacts should be transferred now..

Removed personal information to comply with Community Guidelines and Terms and Conditions of Use.