Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800, Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Backup causing issues... media object is invalide

I posted another question in the Destop Software section, but here's the story.

I had to install a new hard drive in my computer.  Reistalled Win7 etc.

Reinstalled BB Desktop Manager.

Backed up my 9800.

After today's back up, my BBM contacts were deleted.  I posted this in the other thread.

Now I have also discovered that I cannot send images to BBM contacts.  I took a picture, and could not send it.  I get a warning message that says "The media object is invalid' 

What is going on with my BBM?

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: Backup causing issues... media object is invalide

bbjohnm wrote:

I posted another question in the Destop Software section, but here's the story.

I had to install a new hard drive in my computer.  Reistalled Win7 etc.

Reinstalled BB Desktop Manager.

Backed up my 9800.

After today's back up, my BBM contacts were deleted.  I posted this in the other thread.

Now I have also discovered that I cannot send images to BBM contacts.  I took a picture, and could not send it.  I get a warning message that says "The media object is invalid' 

Hi bbjohnm

Can you tell us which version of BBM you have installed on your device ? If it is BBM7 then your Contacts are stored with your BlackBerry ID.On your device go to BlackBerry ID > Press the Menu Key > Check for Updates .

And if you have any previous version of BBM then Check this Knowledge Base on how to restore your BBM Contacts :

KB20554 How to back up and restore the BlackBerry Messenger contact list

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Contributor

Re: Backup causing issues... media object is invalid

BBM version 6.0.0.132

Elite II

Hi bbjohnm

If it is version 6 then please go through the Knowledge Base suggested above.

Good luck

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Contributor

Thanks, that's good for future reference, but I still don't understand why backing up my phone caused my contacts to be wiped out and now image files won't send via BBM.

Elite II

Hi bbjohnm

I have no clue why your Contacts are wiped during a device backup, But if we do a Backup of your device it will not delete any Contact list unless we do something wrong.

If you are using BBM prior to ver. 7 then it does allow a local backup , you can backup your contacts on your media card . So when you open BBM > Press Menu key > Options > Scroll to Backup or Restore , > You can restore if you are using that option to backup locally.

Regarding your issue with sending Images through BBM, Are you unable to send Images or that Send Option is not available . Related to the error that you are getting while sending Images :

KB28033 :  "Media object is invalid" error when trying to send picture to a BlackBerry Messenger contact.

Try this KB and see if that help in resolving your issue or do a local backup of your BBM Contact that you have currently, then try Updating to BBM6.2 , TO do that from your BlackBerry browser browse to or Click here

http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/devicesoftware/entry.do?code=bbm6 to download BBM6.2 

So please try it and let us know of your progress.You can also Update to BBM 7 if you want .

Contributor

Thanks.  Looks like version 6.2 has fixed the image file problem. I can now send pics to bbm contacts.  I guess my contact list is gone though.

Elite II

Hi bbjonm

You are welcome ..and sorry to hear that you are unable to recover you contacts , please try to do a local backup also at a  regular interval  to avoid such situation .

Good luck.