Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: TORCH 9800
My Carrier: Movistar
Accepted Solution

Backup failed to keep copies of BB Messenger (PIN) history

I backed up my entire Torch 9800, but Surprise! my BB PIN messages were all gone.
Any idea as to whether they are recoverable?
Or, at least, how I could make sure they can be saved /restored next time?
Thanks!

Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Backup failed to keep copies of BB Messenger (PIN) history

PIN Messages are backed up when you perform a full back up of the device.

Have you tried to do a selective restore of the backup database?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks for the prompt response!

Yes, indeed I performed a full backup of the whole phone before updating the phone software.
After a full restore, I noticed the BB Messages were missing, I tried a selective restore of the BB Messages, but there were only 3 out of a few thousands in the backup file.
Incidentally, all the 2000-some SMS messages were intact.

+ MISSING PHONE NUMBERS: In addition, I have now found that several of my contacts lost at least one of their various phone numbers. These were contacts whose numbers I have been using very frequently, hence I am 100% sure the missing numbers were there before the backup/restore process. I believe that they were not copied into the Outlook PST file at backup, because they are simply not there.

Regards

prombonas wrote:

After a full restore, I noticed the BB Messages were missing, I tried a selective restore of the BB Messages, but there were only 3 out of a few thousands in the backup file.
Incidentally, all the 2000-some SMS messages were intact.

Wait, above in your First post, you said "PIN Messages", now it's "BB Messages", and those are TWO very different things. Which is it.

• PIN messages in your messages folder?
  • BBMessenger chats in your BlackBerry Messenger application?

prombonas wrote:

+ MISSING PHONE NUMBERS: In addition, I have now found that several of my contacts lost at least one of their various phone numbers. These were contacts whose numbers I have been using very frequently, hence I am 100% sure the missing numbers were there before the backup/restore process. I believe that they were not copied into the Outlook PST file at backup, because they are simply not there.

Are you incidentally using a Gmail or Yahoo email address?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I apologize; I do not know the difference between PIN Messages and BB Messenger messages; I always thought they were two terms for the same thing. 
On my main menu screen I only see two options for sending "instant short messages":   

1) A button that has an icon of a cell phone labeled "Text Messages" and is the good old standard SMS. All my SMS history was saved, over 2000 messages.
2) A button that has the BB logo and is labeled "Blackberry Messenger"; this I can only use with people that I have exchanged PINs with, and sometimes is termed a "chat". All these messages were lost.
3) A button whose icon is an envelope and is labeled simply "Messages"; it displays a mix of BB Messages with missed calls notifications. I never use this option, since it does not offer anything different from the other two.

What is the number 2 button called?  PIN messages or BB Messenger chats? Are these stored in a "messages folder"?  or somewhere else?

Yes, I have a GMail and a Yahoo address, and a Hotmail too. Would any be of help?

Again, many thanks.

There is a difference. Can you decide which you've lost?

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I am sorry. I can not decide which. 
Can anyone tell me the difference between  "BB Messenger chat"  and  "BB PIN Messages"?
Thanks

Well, BlackBerry Messenger messages, that's pretty obvious -- those messages you have back and forth in a BBM chat with a BBM contact.

PIN Messages are delivered to your Messages folder (not the BBM application).

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Thanks!

The messages lost are the BB Messenger chat. I am still confused, because I can only use this BB chat with persons who have shared their PIN with me, hence people around here use to call them "PIN messages".

I noticed yesterday that, although I have selected the option "Save Chat History on Media Card" 
my phone now only keeps the last few dozen messages in a chat and deletes the older ones. This was not the case before updating the software.

After updating my phone SW, not only my messages were lost; gradually I am discovering ever more things that are not working any more: My GMail app is not loading the email list, my Twitter will not start, plus several phone numbers were gone.

I wonder if there is a way to roll back to my previous original version of phone SW. I think I will not update my BB phone SW ever again.

Regards

Your contacts are likely being deleted through a sync with your email account.

Your other issues, can you take those one at a time? 5-6 in one thread is hard to deal with.

There is a difference in PIN and BBM chat. I'm sorry you don't understand that, but there is.

Knowledge Base Updates