Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Backup fails - "Unknown Error"

Hello All:

Trying to backup all data from the 9000 on Blackberry Desktop. Backup Dialog seems to proceed smoothly until what seems to be near the end when expect the file is about to close, but receive "unknown error". BB Desktop writes a backup file, but data integrity is suspect because of the error message. Any help would be appreciated.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Backup fails - "Unknown Error"

Error occurs when backing up onboard device memory. All of the major databases (address book, calendar, memos, tasks, messages, readers, etc) scroll by without any notification at the time their bar graph appears.
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Try the steps outline to resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Bifocals

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02659&sliceId=2&docTy...

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor
Contributor

Further work since the prior post:

Wiped the memory. 

Reconfigured minimal options to get things going again.

Accepted defaults wherever possible.

Pushed contacts, calendar, tasks, and memos from MAC via Missing Sync (no sync errors).

Hard Reset.

Restart Windows PC and Blackberry Desktop.

Connect Blackberry 9000 to PC by USB cable.

Attempt backup of device memory.

"Unknown Error" occurs at same point (backing up on-board device memory).

Fortunately, all apps seem to be working fine. I sampled a few records in the core apps and generally all looks OK (but I cannot go through each and every record (>3000 contact and >5000 calendar entries, and no sign of problems in the Mac Applications). I have cleaned and filtered this data manually and semi-automatically in various ways already.

Still wondering what is preventing the backup file from writing successfully.

Meanwhile, will make regular back-ups of the Mac Address Book and iCal and the Missing Sync Mark/Space Notebook to protect my data. ...and not worry too much about not being able to backup thru Blackberry Desktop.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks...

New Contributor

I just wanted to add I am seeing this exact same error too.  The backup to my PC fails part way through - at the time when the Bluetooth database is being backed (IIRC, I am not in front of my PC now).  I get an "Unknown Error" dialog and the backup quits.

I have installed the current version from the BB website on my x64 Vista Ultimate PC.

Any ideas?

New Contributor

Hi, I'm getting the same error when trying to do a manual backup - it also happens with Auto backup.

Running Desktop Manager v4.7 (b050) on Windows XP SP2, and also had the problem on the previous version 4.6.

Tried a few things from other forum posts like clear the browser cache, select not to backup the external memory, but nothing works.

Am trying an Advanced Backup - doing a select all via holding shift on the list and picking the top and botton items... it's now failing one after another on the following: KeyStoreManager, Handheld Key Store, Folders, Folder Id, Firewall Options, File Explorer Options, E-mail settings ... ...and so on...Gave up in the end!

Have backed up the main things I need, Address book etc... but this is a pain the back as I need to backup up the whole thing before I send it back to Vodafone for repair (internal LCD screen damage)... ArghhhMan Mad

Regular Contributor

Try this :

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB16280&slic...

I also had problems backing up and after I cleared the browser cache and bookmarks using the above method I was able to complete a good back up.

New Contributor

Thanks deviant1966, but the item that I need to clear (Bluetooth Options) is greyed out ... it says they are not available if read only or configured for wireless sync / backup.

Not sure how to disable this or make them writable... any ideas?

Contributor

Unplug the USB cable from ur computer. Make sure the other end is attached to the phone. Plug the USB end back into the computer. Run ur backup. To avoid that error message in the future, always unplug the USB end from the computer, attach the other end to the phone first, then plug in the USB end to the computer.