Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Developer
My Device: BlackBerry 8700r

Re: Battery Drain On Curve

Thanks!

Mike 

Developer
My Device: 7230, 8700, 8820, 9000

Bluetooth's idle state consumes very little battery.  I have a test application on my 8820 that actively scans for neighbouring Bluetooth devices every two minutes.  It has been scanning 24 hours a day for 3 days now.  Even with my personal usage, the battery has only drained 20%. 

Earl 

Earl Oliver
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I have more info on the battery drainage problem........it only happens at the weekend on my phone - Sat & Sunday, Drains in 3 hours flat without the phone being used for anything different (less actually) than in the week when it's fine.  Now that surely makes it a virus problem right????

Still can't find a solution anywhere? BT think I'm nuts and keep wanting to send me new phones all of which have the same problem.

Can anyone help me with this it's driving me mad!!

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Smarty wrote:

I have more info on the battery drainage problem........it only happens at the weekend on my phone - Sat & Sunday, Drains in 3 hours flat without the phone being used for anything different (less actually) than in the week when it's fine.  Now that surely makes it a virus problem right????

Hello,

what is the difference between weekdays and weekend ? same geographical position ? Do you have a good signal level on week ends ?

I've never heard of any virus on Blackberries.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

No neither have I but that is the only thing it can be as to my knowledge no software on a curve increases its usage so much so that it drains in 3 hours flat on a saturday morning after a 12 charge....I have a great signal at the weekends, ten miles from my work location so again same usage as in the week. 

What i want to know is why Blackberry aren't investigating this themselves? 

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Smarty wrote:

What i want to know is why Blackberry aren't investigating this themselves? 

hello,

easy answer : because not enough users have this issue and complain Smiley Happy

more seriously, can you leave your blackberry at your office for a week end and see if the battery drain still occurs ?
I know, it's hard. 2 days without it. Be courageous. You are not an addict.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Hey Smarty - I am with you - how do we get the attention of Blackberry to fix this problem? ..... And I mean no offense to all that have provided outside the box solutions (thank you) but I have paid to much money for this device to try messing with its software myself.  The closing the application does not remove it from my application ribbon - and two programs are always there regardless of how many times I try to close them..... ptt and blackberry messenger.  They have to be eating my battery.  How do we get the moderator of this board to help us???  This thread has over 500 views so obviously others are encountering the same issue.
Regular Contributor
My Device: 8310 Curve

Thanks for taking part in the forums. The BB messenger is a little different than say Yahoo and other internet applications. The BBM is a direct link for IMs on BB devices only. Your Pin# located in (options-status-pin),this number is like a email address ID just for your phone, so it will always have to run in the background to be effective. Just like internet will have to run always so that you can get your email. However the PTT is an app. that does NOT have to run so in total agreement this is pure "crapware" and I as well as a lot of folks would love to get rid of it..We need to call RIM I just haven't so I can't complain to much at this point..If anyone else has called please let us all know, we all want a solution!!

mandograss

Bluegrass Rules !
New Contributor
My Device: US Cellular 8330

Well it looks like I'm not the first with this issue... I've had my BB 8330 from USCC for 3 days now and the first 2 days were newby bliss, day 3 is starting to become newby hell.  Has there been a fix found for the random hour glass even after all but the big 5 apps have been closed?  My battery is not a fan of this... My signal strength is good at almost all times at home, in the car and at the office so signal issues are not draining mine down.  Hope any advice you guys have to offer might help out.
New Contributor

Oy - I fortunately have not encountered the hourglass but I have a Curve 8310 so that may be the difference.  If you read back in this thread you will find some suggestions from others about removing the (we think) battery eating offending apps from your BB.   Good Luck - let us know if you have any luck with them.  And keep an eye on this forum - I am just pesky enough to get answers when I want them. Smiley Happy