Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 v6.0.0.526, platform 6.6.0.195
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Battery Drain

The battery on my BB 8520 is suddenly draining within four-five hours of a charge.  I've had the phone for five months, use internet and text a lot, but the problem has just begun.

There are only three changes I've made recently that me have something to do with this:

(1)  I added MyLocation from BB App World.  I've deleted that program, but the problem still persists.

(2) I added AT&T "My Wireless" App (shows your bill, how many minutes you've used, etc.)

(3) I loaded about 200+ photos of my kids on to my phone - enough to the point that it wouldn't let me add any more. 

One other thing:  after noticing the arrows on the home screen that indicate data exchange - even after I've exited the program - I tried screwing around with connectivity settings.  Now when I log on to Google, for example, I'm getting application permission questions (something about "Socket").  However, after deleting the "My Location" app, I haven't noticed the data arrows moving after exiting an internet program.

I appreciate any help with this.  AT&T store tells me my options are to send the phone to manufacturer or go to Batteries Plus to replace battery.

Solutions: 6,397
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Battery Drain

If you just hit the red "end call" key to go back to the home screen the application actually stays open and running in the background. If you do this repeatedly you will have lots of apps open and consequently your memory and battery will get used up.  If you get into the habit of actually using the menu key to close the applications this will at least slow down this memory-clogging process and cause less battery drain.

To check what applications are running on your device in the background, press the Menu key then choose Switch Applications. You will see the icons of each application there.

So now, check your applications running in the background. There are commonly four or five applications that will always be running (Messages, Call Logs/Phone, BlackBerry Messenger, Homescreen, and the Browser; there are other third party applications such as BeeJive, and BlackBerry Alerts which will also run in the background which you cannot close if you want them to operate). Make certain that the browser is NOT on an active webpage (open the browser and choose Menu > Close). Close any other applications that do not need to be running (the camera or a game you were playing or Google Maps).

Here are some good charging tips, please read and you'll see that many of them will apply to you.
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Maximum_Battery_Life
And here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Community-Post/Power-Saving-Tips-for-your-BlackBer...

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor

I appreciate the info, but I've read the same advice to previous "battery" topics posted here.  None of these apply to me.   

Based on what I mentioned regarding the three recent changes, do you think one of those could be the contributing factor in why this happens?  Do you think a new battery will fix the problem?

Thanks again.

There's nothing wrong with your device needing an exchange. I don't think you need a new battery.

I think if you re-read the tips I ofered above, and follow the instructions on reconditioning the battery you'll find some change.

Since you deleted the app, and all you've done has somewhat countered the additions you've made, none of that should apply here.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor

I've re-read the advice and have printed below with my comments (in red).  Please tell me if I'm missing something or doing it wrong.

1. There is no memory on a Li-ion battery, and thus it is recommended that you “top-off” the charge regularly during the day when possible. Ten minutes now and then on your wall outlet, automobile or USB cable is recommended.  I do this all the time.

2. Roughly every 30 charges, deliberately discharge your battery to 10-15%, and fully charge to 100% afterwards. This will help maintain the accuracy of the “fuel gauge” on the device (your battery meter or scale). It has nothing to do with the battery memory (as mentioned, Li-ion batteries do not have memory) but helps maintain the accuracy of the device’s percentage of battery charge left.  My battery now drains down to below 10% without me even making it a point.  I charge it to 100% overnight, but not every time it's that low (I use it too much)

3. Don’t drain your battery every day to 10-20% of its charge. You can actually expect battery problems by draining the battery. Again, to repeat, top-off your charge during the day whenever convenient – even ten minutes in the car or at your desk will give you an extra 20-25% charge.  I top it off all the time, especially now.

C. Tips for reducing fast battery drain:

1. A BlackBerry constantly searching for signal drains the battery quickly. In an office building, residence, or rural area with low signal coverage, you will experience a quicker battery drain. Turn off the “radio” on the homescreen or the data signal if you must reduce battery drain in severe circumstances (Options > Mobile Network > Data Services = OFF).  I turn this off frequently now, and it does probably help.  But I used the phone for like five months without having to do this and I don't want to keep data services off.

2. Check your applications running in the background. Press your Menu key and then choose Switch Applications to see what is running in the background (or, hold down the Menu key about 3 seconds for the App Switcher ribbon to appear). There are commonly four or five applications that will always be running (Messages, Call Logs/Phone, BlackBerry Messenger, Homescreen, and the Browser; there are others such as BeamBerry and Alarms which will also run). Make certain that the browser is NOT on an active webpage (should return the bookmarks page only). Close any other applications that do not need to be running (the camera or a game you were playing or Google Maps). Applications like GoogleMaps and streaming audio apps such as Pandora or the Media Player left running in the background are big battery drainers.  This is the one where maybe there's a problem.  My applications that appear are Call Log, myWirless (AT&T app), Home Screen, Blackberry Messenger (which I don't use - I send SMS), Browser, Google Mobile App, Messages and Clock.

MyWireless:  I "log off" every time with every program, including this.  I don't hit the Red "End Call" button.  And when I attempt to enter MyWireless from the App Switcher, nothing happens anyway.

Blackberrry Messenger:  I don't use it, ever. Selecting it from App Switcher brings me to License Agreement and I just hit "Don't Accept".

Browser:  I never use the AT&T/Media Net browser.  I use Google end exit it properly.  Again, have been using Google since I got the phone and only in the last couple weeks have I developed a problem.  But it does appear and shouldn't according to the advice in this piece.  Is there something I'm missing on this?

Home Screen, Call Log, Messages and Clock are probably non-factors, I'm guessing.

3. Turn off the Bluetooth connection when you don’t need it (Options > Bluetooth).  I don't use Bluetooth

4. Some applications such JiveTalk have a “battery save mode” when idle. Log off applications such as JiveTalk, AIM, Google Talk if you are not using them for long periods of time.  I always log off instead of using End Call.

5. Use your sleeper-magnet enabled holster. The magnet in the holster is there for a reason – it puts the BlackBerry to sleep, saves the battery, and makes you a happy camper  I've never used it and don't see why I should have to start.

6. Turn your backlight down to 80%… for many, that is a barely noticeable difference in the screen brightness (Options > Screen/Keyboard).  I've made this switch.

7. Get an extended-life battery if you think you need it (Seidio Online has many choices for various models).  Reply to my first post says I shouldn't have a battery problem.

8. Li-ion batteries have a typical life-span of 300-500 charges, which averages out to approximately two years. A Li-ion battery will normally maintain more of a full capacity charge and then “quit working” suddenly, rather than gradually becoming worse in performance.  Doesn't sound like I need to change anything because my phone hasn't quit working.

9. Store a Li-ion battery with about a 50% charge at normal room temperature. Hot temperatures (like an auto glovebox) will drain a stored battery quickly, and charging will take longer in extrememly hot climates, above 100 degrees.  No problems with room temperature.

Dave_N wrote:

This is the one where maybe there's a problem.  My applications that appear are Call Log, myWirless (AT&T app), Home Screen, Blackberry Messenger (which I don't use - I send SMS), Browser, Google Mobile App, Messages and Clock.

A couple of observations:

1. Open your Clock and close it. It should not show running constantly in the background.

2. Do a powered on, battery pull reboot. About a month ago, over a 3-4 day period I noticed the same quickly drained battery circumstances as you. I check apps, to close them. I double checked the browser to make sure it was closed and not on an active web page. It was closed. I couldn't figure it out.

So, I did a simple reboot as above. by the end of the day, I could whatever gremlim there was, was gone. My battery life was back to normal.

3. If you keep experiencing this problem, get a new battery. I'm just trying to keep you from wasting your money if there were a simple initial fix.

Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the help/advice about the clock and reboot, but it didn't work.  My battery drained quite quickly yesterday.  My last attempt at solving this problem before purchasing a new battery is to delete the AT&T "MyWireless" app, since the problem of my battery drain seemed to begin with the addition of this program.

Before buying a new battery, is there anything else you would suggest that I attempt based on my previous post regarding troubleshooting?

If I do purchase a new battery, should I just get a "standard" battery that fits my Blackberry, or would you recommend a longer-lasting battery option that I think I saw somewhere as an option.

Thanks

Regular Contributor

I deleted the MyWireless AT&T application and that has solved the problem.  Looking back, I should have realized that there was a problem exiting the program.  There's a "log off" icon to click, but no way to hit the Blackberry key on my phone to "exit" like you do in other programs.

There you go!

Good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates
My Device: Not Specified

I am having the same issue and in fact I just bought a new battery yesterday but no luck. All the 3rd party apps are off but still the battery is dying in max 3 hours. Have done all the rebooting etc but the same result. Also the phone battery area is heating up. You think that could be the issue? device problem? PLS HELP!!!!!!!