Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Battery Life Issues

Hi All. Anyone else seeing less than stellar battery performance issues? I pulled this off the charger, fulll charge, at 7:30 am and it's now approx 3 pm and I've had very light usage (e.g. hardly touched it as 'Ive been at my desk all day) and it's down to 35%. I suspect it's the social feeds pulling in facebook and twitter updates, but it's only a guess. I have no IM programs running nor do I have the RSS feeds updating automatically within the Social Feeds app. Not runnig wi-fi either as that tends to be a biig battery drain for RIM devices in my experience. My 3G coverage is strong at the office.

Thanks.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Battery Life Issues

[ Edited ]

Activated mine today and will have to see what battery life is.

after initial BIS, BBM groups and BES sync I had 95% left.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Being connected to WiFi itself does not normally drain the battery.. it is searching and connecting and disconnecting and reconnecting to WiFi (just like 3G) that drains the battery.

I'd say you left a browser page running in the background or something (remember you have tabs on this new browser, close them all).

I've had one up and running since last Thursday, and with moderate use, and on WiFi, I've had two day battery until down to 15%. Mind you, not heavy use at all. I charged it Friday night, and again on Sunday afternoon.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

i can go the entire day browsing and what not no problem.  i have noticed on my previous phone, if i am in a low signal area, the phone ramps up it's power to compensate and my battery would be dead within an hour or so.

New Contributor

I have the same issues, I don't have anything running in the back or auto updating such as social feeds....and my batterys dies quickly...

Visitor
My Device: 9800 Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

Make sure you only turn on bluetooth when you need it. Then turn it off to help save the battery.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Battery life can be extended by storing the batteries at a low temperature, as in a refrigerator or freezer, which slows the chemical reactions in the battery. Such storage can extend the life of alkaline batteries by about 5%, while the charge of rechargeable batteries can be extended from a few days up to several months.To reach their maximum voltage, batteries must be returned to room temperature; discharging an alkaline battery at 250 mAh at 0°C is only half as efficient as it is at 20°C.As a result, alkaline battery manufacturers like Duracell do not recommend refrigerating or freezing batteries.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I left BT and wifi on all last night and after 11 hours i still show 75%. This is great! Just about the same as with my 9700.

You might be going from EDGE to 3G and that causes it to lose battery fast, like in less than 2 hours. My 9700 will do this at inlaws since they live at the beach at the end of the signal/weakest range. If I set it to 2G only. My battery will last all night. it is not the devices fault you are in a crappy signal area (if this is the issue).

Also are you leaving any apps open causeing battery drain?

How many RSS feeds and apps are doing updates? more updates means less battery.

Viigo was set to update every two hours, changing it ot every 8 hours and removing feeds i dont use caused less drain.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Curve would last me for 2 days and I've used BB for 12yrs and in the last 5yr most of the BB had stealer battery life as well HOWEVER I don"t have anything running in the background, no RSS feeds, FB, Social Media only update when I refresh vs looking for new feeds all day, i don't use the camera or Media function, 60% screen brightness, Blacklight at 30 sec, I close all apps after use however my battery was at 100% at 9am and 20% at 1pm....with the same use as my Curve which the battery would have never been drained as much....SMH....the screen is larger and does pull more from the battery than all previous BB....

Perhaps you have have a point regarding changing it to 2G, However I'm not in a crappy area I get great service....so do I really have to use the 2G?

I don't use bluetooth or Wifi at all....

In need of Help or I will have to return the Torch and go back to the Curve, carrying charges, and extra battery's and being afraid your phone won't last is should not be an option in this day and time will all the other better phones out there....

I do luv the the new OS and what the Torch has to offer but please HELP this Battery Life Issue is killin me.....

Trusted Contributor

yeah low signal strength (egde/gpsm) seems to be the killer. 

i have noticed that turing down the backlight helps a lot also.