Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: bold9700
My Carrier: airtel

Re: Battery Life Issues

Hi,

Tips to avoid battery drain  :

1) Bluetooth (Chk if it is turned off)

2) Low signal strength ( If the signal strength is low the device will consume alot of battery in order maintain the signal strength)

3) Unwanted applications running in background  (Hunt for such applications and close them as they would sucking the battery life.

4) Optimize your screen brightness to increase battery life.

5) Follow a regular charge and discharge cycle of the battery.

Thanks,

Rohit

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I'm in a marginal signal area, and my Torch seems to be draining batteries 3-4x faster than my Curve did - is there some reason the Torch would be so much worse than the Curve?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

jsm555 wrote:

I'm in a marginal signal area, and my Torch seems to be draining batteries 3-4x faster than my Curve did - is there some reason the Torch would be so much worse than the Curve?

Curve did not have 3G.

if it is bouncing back and forth between 3G and Edge, tunr off 3G and see if it lasts as long as the curve.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

My Device: blackberry torch 9800
My Carrier: at&t

It seems weird to me too..1 phone call of 2 minutes and didn't touch the phone at all...and my battery is gone by 2/3 in 12 hours..do I have any problem with my battery?

Contributor

I was actually quite pleased with the torch's performance on battery. I unplugged mine around 5pm Saturday and it ran until 7pm or so Sunday night. I have an exchange email that gets pushed, and very active FB/twitter (which push to my blackberry.net addy). I also had wifi and BT turned on although I didn't use either. This was with random 4square checkins, quite a bit of FB interaction, and a 3-4 phone calls around 5 minutes each. I realize my Bold was old and its batt was prob close to shot, but it barely lasted 8 hours with an extended batt.

My Device: 8830

Does the device try to compensate for low signal by trying to amplify the devices internal signal (if that makes sense)?

Contributor

I can see where all of this would or could affect battery life but I dont think its right that I should have to shut all these applications down to make the battery last longer.....BB comes out with the most spectacular phone ever but they cant figure out a way to make the battery last longer?? Cmon BB....there has got to be an answer to this other than ....shut off everything.

Thanks

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

that's exactly what it does.  but to the detriment of draining your battery faster though.

lox500 wrote:

Does the device try to compensate for low signal by trying to amplify the devices internal signal (if that makes sense)?

New Contributor
My Device: 9800 torch
My Carrier: AT&T

Same deal.  I charge my Torch all night and the battery is drained by mid-day.  About 1.5 hours of talk time with a bluetooth headset and moderate email activity.  I could talk for hours with my Bold using the same BT headset.  I also find that BT is less stable on my device.  Drops the connection every now and then.  Am going to experiment turning wifi off to see if that is the culprit....

New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

I'm having the same problem.  I charge it up at night, and even when it sits in my purse all day not being used, the battery is drained by afternoon.  It also feels warm even when not being used, so it seems like something is running in the background.

This did not happen for the first few days after I got it.  But I did not have connection to my wireless at home set up at first, or Facebook.  Could either of these be draining my battery?