Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Battery Life

Hi Everyone! (I'm new)

I'm curious what kind of battery life people are getting from their Storms.  I've only had mine about a week but the battery life appears to be wildly inconsistant.   Some days after being on for about 4 hours I'll look at it and it's only got one bar left! Others it can be on all day and still be full, it doesn't seem to make any difference how much I've used the phone!

I realised that I had the bluetooth visibility on which always chews through the battery but even with that off it's still only on average lasting about a day, with I'd say "occasional" email and maybe an hours calls.

Any tips for extending battery life?  I read in the spec a standby of up to 15 days! What a joke, my phone couldn't even do 15 hours!

Dave

P.S. I'm on vodafone in the UK (v78 of the software).

Highlighted

Re: Battery Life

Hello,

Yeh when  I first got my blackberry I was miffed at the battery life. But I played around with it and now it lasts about 5 days like most new phones do and thats with calls msgs and other uses including listening to music on it.

I figured the reason why it was killing the battery so much is because it has all this extra crap on it, 3G and GPS and its always running. Lucky thing with the blackberry though you have options for nearly everything, which means you can turn off the 3G and disable the GPS locator. You only need 3G for roaming the internet, and if you do it a lot then just assign the 'manage connections' function to a side button, there you can change from 2G to 3G quickly, and you don't need 3G for anything else really. GPS you can turn off in your options, and just turn it back on again when you want to use GPS, which if you're honest isn't really that often.

Hope that helps, has me.

Gra

Contributor

Yeah I have now done the same.  Put my phone into 2G instead of 2G/3G (i have very weak 3G here anyway) and uninstalled all the vodafone software (which says it updates for you "automatically").  I also uninstalled the blackberry messager because I'm not using it and it appears to always be running in the app menu? ... After a day of being on today my phone is still almost completely charged and it also seems a lot more responsive when I'm using it yay!

I've left the GPS on because I love the fact that I can tag my photos on the phone with GPS co-ordinates!(and of course the mapping software).  It doesn't seem to be using much power, GPS just listens anyway doesn't it, it doesn't send transmit anything? So it shouldn't use too much battery?

Dave

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

New Contributor

Hello

Thanks for the advice in this thread. My Storm, just 3 days young, appears to have a battery life of just 5 hours. I've followed your tips and so far things are looking good - as in it's not lost any visibile charge in the last 45 minutes. There's still time though I suppose! I'm a beginner BlackBerry user, so excuse me...

I found that I was running applications without realising, by holding the menu key down for two seconds. I have since deleted Vodafone live!, Google Maps and Youtube, which I hope will make a real difference to the battery consumption.

I'm in France, so am not using the Internet browser/ email so i've turned off Data Services. I've switched to 2G and Deny on all GPS.

I'd really rather not return my Storm; I'm looking forward to using it to check email on the go when I return to the UK, so would like to keep it's battery life up as long as possible while I am abroad. Can anyone offer any other tips, other than those discussed here so far?

If I successfully help you with an issue, thank you for clicking "kudos" in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please resolve this thread by marking the post which solved it for you!
Contributor

Hi I am new to this forum and I am here to check out the tips on battery life as well! 

My phone is about 1 week old, I have looked at other websites on how to increase the battery life but it just does not seems to be working at all.  My phone does not even last for 5 hours - it is really fraustrating Smiley Mad as I would be at work and the phone always turn itself off because the battery is dead!!

I dont use my phone a lot, just make a few phone calls and texts now and again therefore I would expect it to last at least for 1 or 2 days!

Last night I read the other forum on turning the GPS off so I did - Went to bed last night at 11.45pm and when I woke up at 7am this morning the phone was already switched with no battery!!  (dont even know when it switched off)

I thought enough is enough so called up Vodafone UK and explained to them my phone does not even last for half a day, they are going to switch my phone because they say it should last for 1 to 1.5 days.

Hopefully when I get the phone switched tomorrow I will have a phone which will last for at least a day! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

I will keep you all updated!

Courtney 

New Contributor

Not sure if this solution is "real", but it seemed to help for me.  I keep my phone in my pocket, and theorized that things constantly bumping against the screen was keeping it on.  I now push the lock button before putting it away.  It essentially fixed my battery issues.

Pete

New Contributor

Hi Dave

Had my 8900 curve for 3 months and had a new battery supplied by Vodafone which was fine for two days then got to the stage it lasted

6 hours max.

Just today I turned off the WI- fi and left the blue tooth on most of the day and the battery life has improved.

fully charged 6am and still got just over half battery life left 02.30 this morning.

hope this helps