Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Battery drain with micro SD card

I recently purchased an 8gb micro SD card for my 8310 and have noticed a terrible battery drain when the card is in the device.  I didn't notice this when I first inserted the card but once I actually listened to music that was on the card, the battery started to drain from that point forward, even after a full charge and without any more usage of the card (i.e. didn't listen to any music or even turn the media player on).

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour or can anyone offer any solutions.  I haven't seen anything logged here or anywhere else that describes the same issue.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Battery drain with micro SD card

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums!

You are correct I have not seen this mentioned on any model forum.

Are you sure you have the card seated correctly? That would be the first

thing I would check. The second being are you correctly closing the media player

and applications in it.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Curve photos:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-lecture-6-how-install-microsdhc-card-your-blackberry

Message Edited by Bifocals on 02-03-2009 06:17 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

I've only seen battery loose when i listen to music, it doesnt have to anything to do with the card, just with the player on. I just decided do not listen to music, at least if i'm out of home...
New Contributor

I suspected that listening to music would cause increased battery drain but have seen that even when not listening to music and with the player and all components shut down, the battery continues to drain.  Almost as if there is a mystery application that continues to run in the background that I cannot see.

Is there a way to tell exactly what applications are running so that I can ensure that I shut them down properly?

Thanks for your replies.

Guru I

Hi,

From the home screen press menu key twice, select switch application, it will list the open applications.

You will always see the home, messages, phone, and browser icons.

List the applications you have installed on the device.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

Ok, thanks.  That's what I thought.  Just wondered if there was some other hidden list of running apps that I wasn't aware of.

I'm in the midst of testing it now.  Put the microSD card back in and haven't touched the music player to see if there is any additional batter drain.  So far, it appears no.  Then I will play the music player briefly, close it down and see what happens.  That's when I saw the battery drain before.  In fact, I also noticed strange performance issues (bad trackball response and general response issues in all other apps).

I'll report back and close this thread if all is ok.

Guru I

Hi,

Make sure you close applications when you are done with them.

The correct way is to use the close or exit key.

Hitting the red telephone or the escape key does not close the application.

Doing that will have adverse effects on device memory and battery life.

Thanks,

Bifocals

New Contributor

I haven't noticed the same behaviour yet but haven't done a lot of testing yet.  I'll mark this as "solved" and re-open if I see it happening again.

Thanks for your responses.

Guru I

Cool!
Let us know.
Thanks,

Bifocals