Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: 3 - UK

Battery life on Bold 9780

One of the reasons that I chose the Bold 9780 was that it offered 'exceptional battery life' (according to Blackberry's website), and a couiple of reviews that I've read backed this up.

Unfortunately, however I've now been using it for a few days, and for most of this time, the battery has given up after less than one day's use. I haven't been using it excessively (some texting, a couple of short calls and some browsing), and the most use seems to be when the phone alerts me when I've received an email (which I don't really need to know - CAN I TURN THIS OFF? - PLEASE HELP).

Does anyone think that my handset might be faulty, or does this seem to be norm; and is there anything that I can do to make the battery last longer (I don't want to be charging it on a daily basis for the next 2 years!!).

My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Battery life on Bold 9780

I have a 9700 and have started having the same problem just recently.  My IT team tested three separate batteries all with the same issue so they gave me a new device.  I am now having the same problem.  Didn't seem to have this issue until I upgraded the OS to version 6.  Trying to figure out if I go back to version 5 if that will correct the problem.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

@jranson, if you plug your phone into your  PC via USB and open BlackBerry Desktop Software, you can revert back to your previous OS.  If you've ever done any data backups, you would click Device at the top of the software, then Restore from the drop-down list.  If you've never done any data backups, you would click Device at the top, then Update.  When the box opens (that might say you're already up to date), you'll click View Other Versions and pick one with the previous OS listed.

Let us know if that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Elite II

@alunjones, press and hold the menu key for a couple of seconds (the menu key is the BB key to the left of the trackpad).  What apps are showing?  Home, Phone, Messages, Browser are all going to be running constantly, but if you have many other apps runnning, you should shut some of them off.

To do that, go to each app one at a time, press the menu key and select Close or Exit.  Pressing the red phone key will not shut down an app.

Let us know if that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: 3 - UK

Many thanks for that - will have a go.

I have to say, the lack of a manual didn't help, and the video that came wit it was a bit useless!

Elite II

[ Edited ]

I've never known any cellphone maker to be famous for including a useful manual, BlackBerry included.

Have a look at your apps that are running and see if you can close some of them down.

Please post back with your results.  Smiley Happy

Contributor
My Device: 8100,8300,9000,9700

Make sure that you have turned wireless and bluetooth off if your not using it.