Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Bold - 9700
My Carrier: Sasktel

Battery life very short after OS6 upgrade

I have a Bold 9700, I got a notice from my vendor (Sasktel) that I could upgrade it to OS6 (6.0.0.534) and now my battery life is incredibly short at 8 to 12 hours per charge when not in use!  It used to have 3 to 4 days per charge depending how often it was used.  I have already tried turning off Bluetooth, WIFI, and even the wireless signal, I have closed any running applications, pulled the battery several times, nothing works.  I was told to give it a couple days, but it has been a week, and it spends more time charging than being used now…

I did some searching, and on my phone the Blackberry 6.0.0 System Software is using from 60 to 80% of the CPU all the time even when it isn’t doing anything.  I compared this to a friend’s Bold that was shipped with OS6 and it uses 0 to 25% CPU power depending what he is doing.

I used Blackberry Swiss Army Knife to wipe the Blackberry, and installed OS6 fresh, and did not install any third-party software, and got the exact same problem!  What do I need to do to make this work?

My Device: BOLD 9700
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Battery life very short after OS6 upgrade

I thought I was the only one with this problem - Mine can actually go flat overnight! The only thing I could think of was to downgrade to OS5, but that seems silly in this day and age.

The other thing I have noticed is that every now and then you get the timer display in the middle of the screen, as though it can't cope with the requested instruction - is this part of the same problem?

I can't believe BB aren't aware of it. 

My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: att

I am having the EXACT same problem...minimal battery life and the little black clock in the middle of the screen that freezes any activity that i have going on. I called support this morning. They had me do a phone wipe and reset. At first she said my curve 9300 "didnt support OS6", then she said yes it does. So now I have done all the troubleshooting and it STILL is having the same problems. This is VERY inconvienient when I'm trying to use my phone. Blackberry needs to get this fixed pronto. I'm thinking of getting another phone if they don't. ridiculous!!

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Here's a really simple explanation for all three of the previous posters.

All of your phones are running 256 MB of onboard memory.  To function properly, OS 6 requires 512 MB (twice what you've got).  Any tech support that tells you that OS 6 is supported by your phones is really doing you a disservice.  Yes, you can install it, but it's not going to function properly.  You're going to see constant freezing and major lagging.  The analogy I like to use is that you're putting a Ferrari engine into an subcompact car; the engine is in there, but you've still got the subcompact's suspension and tires.  In short, it's just not going to work.

I suggest to anyone who's installed OS 6 and is experiencing problems with it to (1) don't blame RIM, it's not their fault, and (2) revert back to OS 5 ASAP using BlackBerry Desktop Software.

I hope that clarifies things for everyone.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I had the same problem with my Torch 9800. I went back to 6.0.0.246. 

My Device: 9300
My Carrier: Vodacom

I thought with the timer thing thing the phone was over thinking and hence the the battery was dying. Very frustrating
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520

I have actually had this very problem and I just upgraded to OS 5 on a Blackberry Curve 8520.  I've deleted any secondary apps, anything that did not come with the phone and my battery dies within a days time of being fully charged.  I read your reponse to the others having issues w/ OS 6 but it's the same for me as well.  Any suggestions aside from going back to 4.0?

New Contributor
My Device: Pearl 3g
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Isnt there a way i can still work on OS 6? Can't I buy twice the device memory or something like that? Is there NO other way? I don't see what was the point of the blackberry website encouraging us to update, and being allowed to update when theres no way we can use it..

I've got a 4GB memory card or media card. Not sure if they're the same thing.. But will it work??

New Contributor
My Device: Pearl 3g
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Can't i buy more device memory? Is there a way of still getting to use the new software?
My Device: 8520 curve
My Carrier: orange

Hey, this is a message for AKKARA,

Did you manage to get anything to work, to help the battery life?

I have just upgraded from 4 to 5 on my blackberry curve 8520, and straight away noticed the difference...

Please let me know!

Cheers

W