Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: TMobile

Battery on Bold 9900

Hi Guys,

Im a first time ever blackberry user having had previously a Nokia E, HTC Sensation and Samsung G2. I had to lose both the last handsets due to poor reception.  Having read many reviews it seems the Bold 9900 had outstanding call reception its true I am amazed I can actually use my phone as a phone again!.

However and this is a MASSIVE BIGGIE I had heard about the poor battery life but thought how bad can it be. Well its pretty bad
I literally only use my phone for calls texts and emails no internet or social. I have everything shut down.Updated to latest sw release  V7.1.0.714 and after an overnight charge by midday I'm on 60% and losing 5% per call i make I will not make it through the day. Any helpful suggestions im on 3g/2g

I love this phone but getting slowly frustrated

Many thanks

My Device: 9900
My Carrier: MTN

Re: Battery on Bold 9900

Download Battery Booster and Battery Doctor from App world and charge your battery during the night when your phone is off. This give me an extra few hours per day.

New Contributor

thank you will give it a go ...do you know of any extended batteries that dont require a cover and actually work

My Device: 9900
My Carrier: MTN

No I don't! Don't give up on the BB it a great phone!
New Contributor

Thanks..I know it is will keep trying.Thanks for all your help wil lwt you know how i get on

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB Passport, Z10 and PlayBook 64Gb
My Carrier: Proximus (BE)

Yes indeed, this battery is a little "weak" ... or the 9900 is eager I don't know.

Anyway, from my experience, there are several tips to preserve (a bit of) battery life.

You mentionned yourself managing the applications in the background.

I also found that Bluetooth is quite consuming (much more than Wi-fi in my experience) so you'd better switch it off when not needed.

Obviously your network reception also consumes a lot of battery if you are mostly in locations with poor reception. Some users advice to switch your network settings to "2G only" but I cannot say if this is really working because I want to keep 3G whenever possible.

The new OS 7.1 has also a (basic) battery management option built-in.

I have a lot of doubts about the additional software (like the ones mentionned above) as i have tried several of them without seeing a significant difference. Some of them even producing the opposite effect!....

To tell the truth, I purchased a second battery but this proved quite difficult in practical life as you have to manage to charge the two batteries and must switch them in the device Smiley Sad

At least I didn't find a "desktop charger" that could provide me this "dual" solution (like this exists with some other brands).

Basically, the best way to keep going is purchasing a desktop charger for your home or office, put the original one at the other location and, if you are often driving, invest in a car charger as well.

The only positive point is that the battery charges quickly as well Smiley Wink

------------------------------------------------
Please don't forget to mark as "solved" if your question is replied and to "like" a useful reply to your post ;-)
New Contributor

Thanks for that...Its a real shame as its my first ever blackberry coming from Android and as a device i actually love it. I will keep persevering.

once again many thanks

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB Passport, Z10 and PlayBook 64Gb
My Carrier: Proximus (BE)

You are welcome.

I agree that this is not a strong point for the 9900. My wife has a 9790 and the battery life is much more impressive, no doubt.

As an "advanced" user of numerous smartphones these last years (including Android and iOS), they all tend to be quite short on battery life anyway and the features of the BB are really superior in my opinion when it goes to "professional" use. I also like the "physical" keyboard and the bright screen a lot Smiley Wink
------------------------------------------------
Please don't forget to mark as "solved" if your question is replied and to "like" a useful reply to your post ;-)
New Contributor

Okay Ive had the phone for nearly 2 weeks now and this is how i see it. im just a phone and email person. No games or apps or browsing. I ran the phone on 3g/2g no data...and  with regular telephone use gave me nearly 2 days...as soon as i turned on data for emails the battery plummeted...so i can only assume the poor battery life is related to working with pulling in emails all day. Sad really as thats what it seems is its atttraction aside from its stuuning looks and excellent reception ...So i guess until BB get a bigger battery its limit the email useage. I can though say Im defintely hooked on the BB platform now great keyboard and reception so wont be going back to any android soon

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

BlackBerry phones use Li-Ion batteries, which are very versatile. They can be topped up at any time for any length of time with no "memory effect". Whenever you have a spare 10-15 minutes, consider plugging in your phone for a quick charge. If you ever decide to turn on your data, using Wi-Fi will dramatically improve your battery life.

I hope I've helped. Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.