Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Battery won't charge -Blackberry Storm 9530

Is anyone having a problem with their battery on their Blackbery 9530 after installing 5.0 upgrade?

Elite I
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

Re: Battery won't charge -Blackberry Storm 9530

[ Edited ]

WelcSmiley Happyme to the cSmiley Happymmunity suppSmiley Happyrt fSmiley Happyrums

Since you upgraded, the battery won't charge?  No I havent had that problem.  Dont remember seeing anyone saying that yet..... .  are you using the electrical outlet or the USB port to charge? 

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Nurse-Berry Smiley Happy Smiley Happy
My Device: BB Passport and Z10
My Carrier: AT&T, and VZW

There have been many reports on the board of this occurring.  As long as you can see the lightening bolt on your Storm battery, that means its charging, are you by chance seeing this?

Are you using a USB port to charge?

New Contributor

Amen, someone else has posted about the battery not charging after the 5.0.0.328 upgrade on the Storm 9530. I thought the upgrade had some great features, and my battery life actually doubled in the days directly after the upgrade. I upgraded on Wednesday 10/28/09. I went to plug my Storm into the car adapter to charge on 10/31/09 and this is the message I received:

The charging source connected to your BlackBerry device cannot charge your battery.

Some USB hubs might not provide enough power. Plug the hub into a power outlet (if avail) and reconnect your BlackBerry device. Try connecting to another USB port (diff. computer, USB hub, or travel charger). Verify that your USB cable is securely connected to your BlackBerry device and a USB port. Verify that your computer is not in standby, hibernation, or sleep mode. Verify that BlackBerry device USB drivers are installed on your computer.

I tried to connect via outlet at home and even USB on computer. Same message came up each time. I went to my local Verizon store and the tech support had no idea what to do. I went home and called Verizon tech support and she had me soft reboot my device (pull out battery for 30 seconds and reinstall). Once Storm rebooted she had me plug into wall outlet. I received the lightening bolt and it was charging. I unplugged so that I could plug back in to a different wall outlet and guess what? It would not charge again.

So, the only way I can get my Storm to charge now is to soft reboot (pulling battery) every time I want to charge the phone. This is a real pain in the butt.

I called Verizon tech support again and they said they had not heard of such a problem, but that they were just going to send me a refurbished Storm. I would prefer a new Storm 2, but they won’t give me one of them. I had to get a replacement phone some years ago from Verizon and that thing was in worse shape then the phone I was replacing. I don’t want the refurbished Storm, but it may be my only option.

Hope to hear from others having similar problems.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB Passport and Z10
My Carrier: AT&T, and VZW

I have found that just simply unplugging my Storm and replugging the charger in to it solves the problem without having to do a soft pull.  I just unplug and replug until I see the lightening bolt indicating a charge.

If that works, you may not want to send your unit back for a refurbished one which may bring you even more problems. 

This is an issue that many have reported on the board and have commented on (myself included).  And yes I go the same error messages you did with my USB charger for my computer and car, and I can tell you that they both work to charge my Storm now and I havent seen that error message in a while.

New Contributor

I have tried to unplug the charger over and over and it won't charge. The only time I can get it to charge is when I remove the battery and reinstall it. I can then charge phone. I unplug the charger and it wont charge again.

I like what the update has provided, except can't use any of the upgrades or even the phone if I can't get it to charge.

Trusted Contributor

i just started having the same problem but i have to do a battery pull to make it charge again i have tried the car chargr the usb and the wall and nothing works till i do a battery pull

New Contributor

I just upgraded to the new software as well yesterday and now my Storm won't charge either on USB or wall outlet. Only when I take out and replace the battery does it work. I like the new features but what good is my phone if it won't charge? I hope there is a solution to this problem soon. Verizon had no idea what to do about this. I hope somebody else has the answer.

New Contributor

Has anyone rolled back to the old software?

I've had the same problem ever since installing the 5.0 software: I get the error message mentioned by icetross911, even though I am plugged into the wall, not a USB port. The charging lightning bolt doesn't appear.. 

Sometimes unplugging it and plugging it in again will solve the problem. Sometimes it takes several tries, and a couple of times I've had to pull the battery.

I'm tempted to roll back to the older software. Has anyone done that, and did you have any trouble with it?

Thanks.

New Contributor

Glad to hear I'm not crazy.

Yes, I've tried the wall outlet and the car charger.  The only thing that works is the USB cable on my computer.  Go figure...

I'm also tempted to roll back to the 4.7 version, but surely blackberry can come up with an answer.  

I'm also tempted to buy the Storm 2 but I don't know enough about it.