Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Battery won't charge -Blackberry Storm 9530

i also upgraded to the new OS  a couple of days ago. today my storm randomly reboots when i use and the last time it rebooted it didnt turn on. it just blinks. 4red led blinks in each interval. i cant say it's my battery cause i just charged it fully last night before it started to randomly reboot this afternoon.

any thoughts on this?

i kinda feel really bad.

i love this phone.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Darn, Sixer -- I was hoping that would work, although I would have been surprised. Thanks so much for letting us know: now I won't waste my time upgrading again Smiley Happy

didsConsing, I had a couple of odd happenings with my phone after the upgrade: couldn't charge the battery, part of the screen didn't display properly, etc. I was lucky: I used the Desktop Manager to downgrade to the old OS, and after one "surprise" reboot an hour or so after the downgrade, the phone has behaved perfectly.

Good luck to you.

Yeah, same issue.  The fix seems intermittment.  Pulling the battery works almost every time, but sometimes just trying a different cable/charging source does the trick, particularly after waiting a little while.

Contributor

hi zaphod.

which OS did you downgrade to?

i downgrade to 4.7.(something) the one immediately below the 5.0.0(something) update that has a (recommended) word beside it.

anyway, it worked! yey! but then after a while it went APP ERROR 523 reset. 

and i keep rebooting and battery pulling but it still does the same thing.

im starting to pull out my hair.

im using a mac so i cant understand how to do the JL something command. or i shouldnt be doing that?

help?

Contributor

[ Edited ]

zaphod.

i got it.

i reloaded the OS 4.7.0.75 and refrained from upgrading to OS 5.0 even after how many reminders from the Desktop Manager.

Thanks so much!!!

edit: it's rebooting again after 5 hours. and i was just done rebuilding my address book.

=(

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

didsConsing -- sorry to hear about your trouble. I downgraded to the 4.7...something that was immediately prior to version 5.

it appears that my troubles aren't over, either. Last evening, after fully charging my Blackberry, the red "attention" light started flashing. Usually that means I have an email or a message, but there wasn't one. Eventually, the flashing stopped. I had a full charge on the phone.

This morning when I woke up, my phone was completely dead, dead, dead. I plugged it in to find that the battery was so drained that the phone had shut down. This is my second battery, and I've had the phone less than 6 months.

I am so sick of this -- I need a reliable phone. I'm going into Verizon today to try to get rid of this one.

Same problem.  After upgrading, I too got this message:

The charging source connected to your BlackBerry device cannot charge your battery.

Some USB hubs might not provide enough power. Plug the hub into a power outlet (if avail) and reconnect your BlackBerry device. Try connecting to another USB port (diff. computer, USB hub, or travel charger). Verify that your USB cable is securely connected to your BlackBerry device and a USB port. Verify that your computer is not in standby, hibernation, or sleep mode. Verify that BlackBerry device USB drivers are installed on your computer.

My local verizon techs are clueless and say their storms are working fine.  What gives?  My bb has nothing on it but factory-issued software.   Verizon could at least acknowledge that there's a problem and that they're working on it.   

Contributor
My Device: Storm

I too have this problem, and I work at a site with a 6 Storms. It is looking to me like a 5 OS problem where that's the only place I've seen the problem and my phone only started this after the upgrade.

We also work with other phones and platforms and I'm really starting to feel RIM has stuck a junk show in my lap with both the original phone and each OS revision with insult added to injury when I gave up my phone from another maker for my personal Storm.

I would like a fix for this, and thinking about App World and the upgrades breaking the tethering software only adds insult to injury. Multiple problematic OS releases and a software store that should be called Joke World or Cr_p World is how it looks when you also work with other platforms.

I could believe a RIM or Verizon person saying it's my or one phone but when you're at about a one year anniversary of going through the same problems with multiple copies of same phone and also use Apple it makes RIM look pretty lame.

Back to topic: RIM please fix this latest problem and know that AT&T's sorry network is the only reason many own your products.

New Contributor

I'm also seeing the same "cannot charge your battery" behavior after upgrading to 5.0. Interesting addition which I haven't seen mentioned yet - when the device is powered off and plugged in, the attention light flashes red. Probably indicating a charging problem.

Pulling the battery and re-inserting seems to allow it to start charging again with the wall power adapter, but only once. If I unplug the adapter and plug it back in, the same "cannot charge your battery" happens again, until I do another soft reset by pulling the battery, Very frustrating.

Charging from the a USB connection to a computer seems to work, although I can't speak to whether it's charging more slowly or just as fast as it used to - I only used the USB connection for data, not charging.

Always using a USB connection to charge the phone is not a viable option. When I'm on the road I don't always want to have to plug my phone into a computer to charge it.

Does anyone know if a replacement battery would work? Just wondering before I have to go to my local Verizon and see what they say. I'm with most of the posters here - a refurbished replacement phone is not an acceptable option when there's nothing wrong with the phone. A new phone that works is acceptable. Fixing the software is the better answer!

Any thoughts from someone at RIM? Verizon? Anyone?

same problem here 4.7 works and 5.0 won't charge. Going to the verizon store today...