Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Battery won't charge -Blackberry Storm 9530

I am having the same charging issue after the 5.0 upgrade.  The same error occurs with the USB charger or the wall charger and it's not the port.  It started doing this just after the 5.0 upgrade.  If I try to work with the device, i.e. checking email to clear the asterix alerting of new mail, then try to reconnect the charger it will often work and avoids a battery pull. 

I have read that this was an issue under 4.x but it seems to have resurfaced with the upgrade.  It sounds like Blackberry missed some regression testing.

We need a fix for this so I don't have to revert back from 5.0!

My Device: Blackberry Storm
My Carrier: Verizon

Battery won't charge -Blackberry Storm 9530

Loaded my phone with the new software update and have to remove the battery to get the phone to charge.  You would think that as many postings as there are that Blackberry would address this.  I want to just give my phone back and never get another phone from blackberry.  No wonder other operating software companies are getting more of the market share.

Visitor
My Device: 9530 storm

I just got a new storm 9530 and it gives the same message i got 2 batteries with mine and leave one in the travel charger to charge while using the phone but it is a pain

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I love my BlackBerry, but it honestly has given me nothing but misery.  I have had to replace it once due to the rebooting issue after the upgrade.  It won't charge on the USB but it will on the wall.

I'm afraid to mess with the software in any way because of causing it more problems.  I am a former Alltel customer and have an old dumbphone that I like that I'm thinking of reactivating just to get rid of this issue.  I am not paying full price for another unit.

New Contributor

I gave up on mine, too. Yes, it's an awesome product in most ways, but I need the phone part, at least, to be reliable. Between the difficulties charging it, and the fact that a couple of times it went completely dead overnight right after I successfully charged it, I don't trust it anymore. I replaced it with an LG enV3 phone that works perfectly. It doesn't have the fancy features, but it charges quickly, lasts a *lot* longer between charges, and always works. 

My Device: Storm

Absolutely, since the upgrade charging has been hit or miss!

Visitor
My Device: Storm 9530
My Carrier: verizon

has anyone heard of any fix for this problem yet?

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi all, disappointing that there hasn't been a solution to this yet, but I may have found a pattern. It seems that if I plug in the adapter when my Storm is unlocked and on the "home" screen with just the first two rows of buttons showing on the bottom of the screen, the charging works every time. If the screen is locked or if it's got one of the apps open, it's hit or miss (usually miss).

I hope I'm not "jinxing things" by posting this, but maybe it will help other, and maybe it will help RIM find and create a solution. I know it's a pain {edit} to have to make sure it's in a particular state before plugging it in, but I think that's a little easier than pulling the battery every time.

My Device: 9530
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I recently loaded firmware v5.0.0.419 (4.2.0.179) and was quite disappointed to see that this did not solve my battery charging problem either.

My phone mostly will charge in a cradle, often connected to an USB-cable, and hardly ever on the charger.

This topic has been quite quiet... Am I the only one still experiencing this problem?

New Contributor

Still haven't see any solution to this problem. I'll add my name to the list. Charging works about half the time since OS update--battery pull required.

Problem seems very common. Blackberry won't comment?