Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9810
My Carrier: MTN South Africa Vodacom Mozambique

Good day all. 

I have a Blackberry Torch, recently the battery started loosing power throughout the day and required re-charging at mid day. I have moved to another country and I am on a different network but now it is showing a battery with a red cross through it. I have bought a new battery with the same result. What can I do to resolve this issue? Is it the new service provider or the battery, or the phone?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG853), Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Battery

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain a known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem. Please note that "new" and "known good" are not necessarily the same thing...while rare, a new battery can certainly be defective.

Further, it is indeed possible that your move is the culprit...I cannot tell for sure, but I think that this behavior started immediately AFTER your move, but did not present prior to your move. Hence, it is possible that in the locations you are, the signal strength from your new carrier is very weak. Digital devices throttle the power consumption on the mobile device depending on signal strength from the towers...the weaker the signal from the towers, the more power the mobile device will consume so as to try and "pull in" that signal. If there is no signal at all, the mobile device will consume maximum power until it either finds signal or the battery drains.

Further still, is it possible that you've installed something new to your device that is consuming power abnormally? If so, you might try Safe Mode to root out that possibility:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that 

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9810
My Carrier: MTN South Africa Vodacom Mozambique

Re: Battery

Thanks for your reply, I have tried rebooting in safe mode with the same result. The phone was working fine in the new country and was in my pocket when the battery with the cross through it appeared. I assumed it was the battery as I knew it had begun getting weaker. I will have to try swopping batteries and phones as suggested.