Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9380
My Carrier: Sun Cellular

Before I can use my wifi connection in my BB Curve 9380, but after I activated my data plan, wifi doesn't work... please help me, what should I do?

After 7mos of having my device, I tried to register to BB Internet Service for 1 day. It really works well. After a day, I turned off my data and decided to just use my wifi connection because it'll be too cozy for me to use data charges all the time. But I can't use my wifi connection since I've activated my data. I can connect to my home wireless network but I can't use the browser and apps that I can use before. Why is that so? Does anyone experienced this already? Please help. Thanks!
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Before I can use my wifi connection in my BB Curve 9380, but after I activated my data plan, wifi doesn't work... please help me, what should I do?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

sheinico29 wrote:
After a day, I turned off my data

Please explain that more fully. On some OS levels, turning off some settings will prevent all data services over all channels. On other OS levels, you can turn a setting off yet still have data services via WiFi. But you will need to state more clearly exactly what you mean by those words in order to begin to guess.

Also, please tell us your specific OS level:

• KB23393 How to check the model number and version of the operating system on a BlackBerry smartphone

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Re: Before I can use my wifi connection in my BB Curve 9380, but after I activated my data plan, wifi doesn't work... please help me, what should I do?

My device is a smartphone (3g, wifi) BlackBerry Curve 9380. 7.0 bundle 2220 (v.7.0.0.513, Platform 9.32.0.51). For the last 7mos, I can use the wifi connection smoothly. I tried to register to a promo that offers an unlimited BlackBerry Internet and Social Service for a day because I can't use my internet without wifi, I just badly need it because I went out of the town. When my network sent me a message regarding the expiration of the promo I registered, I turned off the data in Mobile Network. Then I connected my device to my home wifi and I really can't access the internet. I tried to open my data
New Contributor

Then I can use the internet. Its just I now can't use my wifi connection without the data, why is that so? Please help.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

sheinico29 wrote:
I turned off the data in Mobile Network.

Thank you...this is the setting I thought you were using. So, before you registered for this service, did you have this setting On or Off? Naturally, you'd need to leave it now in the same setting you had it on before.

With the OS level you have, you actually should be able to leave the Mobile Network Data setting turned off and still be able to use your browser to use WiFi. Then again, if your carrier is one of those few who actually block WiFi use of data services, then you may have to more heavily cleanse your device of the influences that your carrier imposed when you subscribed to those services. To prepare, you should review the Backup link in my auto-sig below on this post and ensure you have a truly full and complete backup. Then, you can proceed with this:

• KB14058 How to delete all data and applications from the BlackBerry smartphone using the Security Wipe option

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

I had my data off before I got the settings for the Internet/Social Service promo. What would I wipe in my device? Should it be user installed applications?
New Contributor

I think the only choice left is to wipe my device, but what should I wipe?
Hall of Famer III

I don't know what your carrier may have done, so my guess is no better than yours. Frankly, if it were me, I'd wipe everything, and perhaps even go further (e.g., ResetToFactory, BBSAK WIPE, etc.). From the chain of events you have provided, your carrier imposed something onto your device when you subscribed to those services, and whatever that was is now blocking your use in the same manner as before you subscribed. So you need to fall back to a configuration from before you subscribed.

BTW -- whatever method you choose, when you restore, be sure to NOT do a full restore...rather, just a selective restore of only those databases you require (e.g., contacts, calendar, etc.). Don't restore anything that has to do with Service Books, as that will likely re-impose that which the WIPE process removes (Service Books are how carriers control the functions on your device). Also, don't bother with restore until after you know that your configuration is functioning for your needs...if it's not working, you'd just have to wipe again in perhaps a different manner.

Good luck!

New Contributor

I wiped my applications and deleted some of my Service Books that is related to the promo. Wifi doesn't still work without data but my browser now w
New Contributor

I wiped my applications and deleted some of my Service Books that is related to the promo. Wifi doesn't still work without data but my browser now works faster compared when I haven't wiped my applications and deleted some service books. Maybe I'm a step closer in finding the solution, but how could I totally bring back the settings?