Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold, 8700g

Being charged excess GPRS while on unlimited data plan

I'm a Bold user on a SingTel BIS unlimited data plan. I'd written previously in this forum about my carrier's restriction on viewing youtube videos on the 3G network with their imposition of excess charges on Internet APN. I've since stopped browsing via the said APN. I was wondering if anyone else is incurring excess GPRS data charges despite being on an unlimited data plan. What could be causing this? It's frustrating when you have to pay more for data even though it's supposed to be 'unlimited'. Perhaps my telco has a different definition of the word 'unlimited'. And no it's not roaming data charges. SingTel Blackberry support staff suggested that it could be a 3-party software issue but couldn't provide a specific answer & solution. I've got Viigo, the usual IM stuff, Google Maps, BB Maps, WorldMate Live, Facebook & Bible Reader. In the meantime, I'm still paying for the excess GPRS charges. Can anyone advise? Many thanks.
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Re: Being charged excess GPRS while on unlimited data plan

I can't understand, if you have a unlimited data plan, why your carrier are charging extra, what is included on your unlimited data plan?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you're asking why my carrier is charging extra, well, your guess is as good as mine.

I'm on BIS Unlimited data. And here's the link to SingTel's BB data rates/charges. http://home.singtel.com/consumer/products/mobile/blackberry/blackberry_internet_service_rates.asp 

At this point, they don't seem to know what they're doing much less offer the necessary technical support. To me it's just daylight robbery! 

Message Edited by doxology on 19-12-2008 12:32 PM
Forums Veteran III

They have a 1800 line, tomorrow morning i call SIng Tel and i post here what they said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contributor

Thanks urumilton. By the way, I first contacted them by phone & e-mail on 16 Dec about the excess GPRS charges. Said they would look into the matter and get back to me. Heard nothing from them until this morning (19 Dec) and was told that they were still looking into the matter and was waiting for RIM's response and would get back to me. And so the waiting game continues... I really hope your enquiry with them will shed light on the issue and provide a solution to my problem. I eagerly await your post. Thanks :smileyhappy:
Forums Veteran III

Wait until tommorrow morning, i call while drive to the office.
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

How much data do you download?  I'm in the UK with Orange on an unlimited data plan but there is a little clause at the bottom of it saying 'fair usage policy applies'  This means that basically although it is called unilimited if i go over 250mb of data downloads a month they would charge the extra.

Just wondering if that's what's happening to you at the moment?

Contributor

On average, I download about 100MB of data a month. SingTel doesn't have this 'fair usage policy' that Orange has. They've recently added this to their terms and conditions: unlimited local data usage does not include Internet APN. Well, I guess their restricting the rate of data transfer over the 3G network (via the use of carrier specified APN) is to 'frustrate' us and 'bully' us into comsuming less data then we would have otherwise. It's unfair really.

http://home.singtel.com/consumer/products/mobile/blackberry/blackberry_internet_service_faq.asp#16

Contributor

Just an update. SingTel still doesn't have a good explanation for the extra GPRS charges. Will just have to wait (again) for the next bill. Oh bother!