Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: blah
Accepted Solution

Best IM app for BB to standard cell phone communication

Hi everyone!

I've got the Torch 9800 and am using up all of my text plan on relatives & friends overseas.  I'd rather use my unlimited data plan (the old $30 one) than my text plan.   Does anyone have any suggestions/inputs as to which IM app for BB uses data & also allows Facebook chat?  Keep in mind that not all of those I keep in touch with can download/use IM apps, so some will be replying to me via international text... meaning if it doesn't cost me, it will still cost them an arm & a leg, and such costs will have a drastic effect on our communication. :-)  So yah, basically I'm looking for something that won't deplete my text plan, while still being affordable for the international recipient.  Make sense?

So if you have an app suggestion (free or paid), feel free to comment!  Thx...

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Best IM app for BB to standard cell phone communication

Hiya!

Well the most obvious choice is BBM (if they have a Blackberry) or email. Both of which use strictly data.

Now I just went into some AT&T info and found this.

Text messages and instant messages sent to international phone numbers from the U.S. bill at $0.25 per message and are not decremented against the data bundle or messaging package bucket. Messages received from international phone numbers bill at domestic PPU or package rates.

Now with that being said, I also found out that AT&T  has an international  messaging bundle that gives customers in the U.S. 100 messages for $10 a month.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter

Regular Contributor
My Device: blah

Re: Best IM app for BB to standard cell phone communication

Well unfortunately, none of my relatives in Asia use BlackBerry.  Most of them use flip phones like Samsung and stuff.  So no BBM for them!  A few of them can download apps, but most have a standard phone where the most you can download are tunes/tones/wallpapers.  So although I have options, they don't.  I can send them text via BBM but it still costs them 15 per text, which is at least 50 cents (depending on the exchange rate).  That's kinda pricey for them.  Emails could work, but in the case of my computer-illiterate mom... Well, she has a phobia against computers and the internet, outside of her cell phone - which is as close to technology as she'll get.

I have seriously considered buying my mom a BB but they use those phones where you "fill it" via a sim-type card.  When you're out of minutes, you just buy another card.  I haven't seen anything like that here so I doubt that what we have is compatible to the service they have available... it's really limiting but I was soooo hoping that I'd be able to find some happy middle somehow... Ugh!

Thanks for finding that info with AT&T...  I've been trying to find out the billing for international costs, and if it is taken out of my plan or if I'm charged extra.