Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Birthdays keep getting re-added

How do I explain this...  ??

I go through, and delete repeated birthdays..  in my outlook... which I sync with my storm..  Appointments/calendar dates are fine, but the birthdays keep re-adding...  next week one person is added in my calendar like 5 times...  UGH..  Does anyone know why this happens...  It's quite frustrating.

Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Birthdays keep getting re-added

Do you have these birthdays feeding to your device from Facebook?

Open Facebook > Options > and disable the Facebook integration with your Calendar application.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Nope.  I make sure FB has nothing to do with my phone except able to post and receive.  I don't like the calendar input it had.

Anyother suggestions Smiley Happy

katndog wrote:

Appointments/calendar dates are fine, but the birthdays keep re-adding... 

The birthdays keep re-adding to your device or to Outlook?

I am confused.

Where are the birthdays coming from , what is the source?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

They keep re-appearing in my outlook.  I assume it from syncing with my Storm calendar

Yep.

Knowledge Base Updates
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)
My Carrier: AT&T

I've found birthdays appearing on my calendar if I have them recorded in the contact's information. Maybe remove the birthday information from the contact?

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

OK, first of all, this is not a problem with including the Calendar application in the FB app. The birthdays are a "feature" of connecting the FB app with the BB's Message application. When the FB app sync's your BB contacts with your FB contacts it is also 'nice' enough to add those contact's birthdays as well.

Second, here are the issues I have found for how the FB app interacts with the BB calendar application.

Problem 1 - This "feature" of adding sync'd FB contact's bdays to the calendar is not documented or otherwise described or presented to the user. I had to do a lot of trial and error to figure it out. If you want the birthdays to go away you have to give up contact sync, which is the ONLY reason I had the FB app installed in the first place.

Problem 2 - Also, the afore mentioned "feature" is not wanted by a lot of people. Some do, that is great for them, but the rest of us should have an option to enable or disable this. Since this is a RIM developed FB app that is doing it, there is nothing FB did wrong or can do, so RIM needs to step up and deal with it. There are countless treads I have found about this issue. If that is doubted, I will link as many as I can find.

Problem 3 - The FB app creates its own entry in your calendar (for birthdays as well as FB events) and most people who use the BB calendar, sync it to something (outlook, google, etc). Having the extra calendar makes for some awkward interactions.

When you remove the FB app (or it's calendar service book) the BB calendar copies all of entries to your default calendar. This will result is duplicates if you later reinstall the application or (like what happened to be) the FB calendar service book is pushed back onto my phone without my authorization (still haven't figured that one out, any ideas?).

The second funky interaction is with google sync (and I'd imagine other calendar sync mechanisms). Since google sync doesn't know which of my BB calendars to sync it grabs my BB calendar for my gmail email account (as it should) and any other calendar (which is bad..bad google, bad!). This means it grabs the Facebook application. So not I have the same entries in my gmail calendar as I do in my FB calendar - duplication in a calendar is bad. The noise makes it hard to know what is going on when half my calendar has conflicts with ... itself.

Anyways, RIM could address both of these bizaar interactions by allowing the user of the FB app to specify which calendar the FB app dumps stuff to (a unique FB calendar or an existing calendar).

Summary  - RIM's FB application should be updated to make the inclusion of sync'd contact's birthdays as BB calendar events optional, and it should be updated to allow the user to select which calendar events/birthdays from FB are entered into (a unique FB calendar or a pre-existing one).

Cole.
211CAE07