Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
ljk
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

BlackBerry 6

Can BlackBerry 6 software (OS) be uploaded into a Bold 9700 device?

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: BlackBerry 6

Hi and welcome to the forums!

I have been reading that device OS 6 version/s have been out for the Bold 9700 since the start of Nov.

I have downloaded device OS versions from the BlackberryOS.com site

Try them here: BlackberryOS

Good Luck!

Thanks,

BIfocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone

Yes, it definately can be.

Here is the official version.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=15CF76466B97264765356FCC56D801D1

Instructions for installing on ANY carrier's 9700:

1. Download the above OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml." Vista/Win7 users: In the apploader folder, simply click on "Compatibility files" to see the actual Vendor.xml file. Once you've got that - simply delete the vendor.xml file there (even if you've deleted or think you've deleted it in the folder previously) and voila, it will allow you to update to the newly installed OS!
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a black "BlackBerry" screen with a status bar for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."
If, for some reason, you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to the PC again and run Loader.exe again, and it should load the OS to the device.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

How can this be the official version if you have to delete the vendor? shouldn't you just wait until your network release it?
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

sahilloomba wrote:
How can this be the official version if you have to delete the vendor? shouldn't you just wait until your network release it?

RIM releases the OS to all carriers. Some choose to adopt it and others do not. It is usually quite safe to use an OS released by a different carrier, but to do so requires deleting VENDOR.XML.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

What does the vendor.xml do?
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

This is likely oversimplified, but basically it puts a wrapper around the core OS with those things that are specific to that carrier. For instance, those annoying "shortcut" icons for carrier-specific services or other things that the carrier may have negotiated to be able to push to their users. It makes the OS package functional on a BB solely for that carrier. But the core OS is identical across all carriers as long as it's for the same specific model BB and has the exact same OS level numbers.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................